How do you do this?

I need some ideas on how to get my kid out of the house? She goes swimming but at $4 a crack that is getting expensive and she has such untanable skin too and burns real... easy. She has a couple camps she's signed up for, we go bike riding, library, shopping, movies. What else is there to do that's pretty cheap? I would like to have some of her friends over and have a few times already, but where are all the kids? Don't they want to get together? Is it a parents job to plan EVERYTHING?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• You don't say how old your daughter is, but if she's under 14 or so - yes, it is the parent's job to plan everything.

With bike riding, library, shopping, and movies, you could add parks, roller blading, frisbee, and hiking. My family just went to a free concert in the park last night. There are also summer festivals (usually put on by churches). Good luck!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes as a parent it is your job to plan everything. Start saving now and get an above ground pool next yr. Thats what we did it was the best investment we made. Look at bible camps some of them are all day and the kids love them. They have water days and things like that. Look for a girls club too. In the summer when my mom worked I went there and had alot of fun.

Answer by gemgem at 7:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Question is, does she WANT to get out of the house more? You do know how important it is to be with your children no matter how young/old they are and it's even more important as they are in their teen years. The more they are with others, the more influence others have on her. Unless you can be absolutely sure the people she is with are of the same moral/value standard your family is, it's a mistake to let children hang out with others too much. Children are too easily influenced. I'm not saying not to let her out, but it seems like you need her out of the house for a good portion of the time. How about finding some learning activities that are fun for her to do?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My parents never planned anything. i stayed home when I wanted and made plans when I wanted that.
    Maybe it's different from the last 3 years but when I was 14 (and below) your parents planning everything basically just meant you had no friends. Does she even want to go out?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I Iive in a great neighborhood or I wouldn't do this....we wrote up a contract of rules for my 9yo to sign so that he could go off our property(on his bike& to friends houses in the allowed area) and bought him a wrist watch. Now we can tell him "go play outside for atleast 2 hours!" now he has made friends on his own! He begs to go outside to play with them and has even brought them home! The 'allowed area' is just one street, but we will expand that as he gets older and builds shows he can be safe and responsible. It's getting to the point where I have to tell him when dinner is instead of "atleast 2 hours".
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would lotion her up with sunscreen and shut her out. LOL. I don't think we were allowed in the house in the summer growing up. If she is old enough to be outside unattended, she will find something to do. Ours have been out since they woke up at 7 on the swing set in the yard, riding bikes, pulling each other around on the sled on the grass (????) but they find something new to do every day.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• In my house it is NOT my job to plan entertainment for my kids and they are all under 14. They play with the kids in the neighborhood. We don't do activities or go anywhere during the day. I don't have a car, we don't have bikes, the library is 2 miles away and they would find that boring anyway. I boot their butts out the door in the morning and they go find someone to play with by knocking on doors. Eventually they find someone. I guess we're lucky because people here aren't obsessed with putting their kids in a thousand activities so they are never home. There are always kids around to play with here.
    My kids are 11, 9, 8, 5 and 11 months and I've never planned a playdate for them or drove them all over town to activities and playdates. I also don't entertain them. That's their job to come up with stuff to do.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think my answer was misunderstood. If planning needs to happen, obviously I or DH will be doing it, not the child. My kids don't inform me that we will be going to the park! That isn't to say that I feel the need to plan all of their time, it was only a recognition of where the power in that relationship lies.

My boys get plenty of unstructured time where they are required to entertain themselves. But it isn't up to them when, for example, we head off to the museum - that's firmly up to me. When they are a little older and have their own transportation, they can take over some of that responsibility for themselves.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2011