Government assistance SUCCESS stories

I know it's so easy to put people down for needing/using government assistance. But we sometimes forget what these programs are for- to help people get back on their feet. I think we need to hear more stories of people running into a rough time, getting assistance and getting back up amd getting off of assistance.

I got married in Dec. 2008, my senior year of college. I lost my parents insurance and therefore my birthcontrol. I went to planned parent hood and made the mistake of telling them that I have migraines. So they would only give me the mini pill. And I am HORRIBLE about taking pills on time and this one that you have to take on time every day. Well needless to say by April of 2009 I was pregnant. I wasn't worried because I htought I had a job lined up with a local company. But they wouldn't give me the job I applied for because techincally I hadn't graduated yet when I interviewed (I interviewed during finals week). So they stuck me in a group home. Which wasn't too bad until I was about 25 weeks and started having pre-term labor and my boss was making me work for 15 hrs a day and only giving me 5-6 hrs off between shifts. I ended up having to give up my full time spot to get my hours changed, thus losing my insurance. (and almost half our income!). Dh was working full time as a cook at Juvy center. We tried to apply for medicad and got denied over 200$. We applied three timse and got denied over the same month every time. But I did get WIC and Foodstamps. I will say that 200$ a month in food stamps was a LIFE SAVER. Esp. after DD was born and I ended up losing my job. The area we were in had no jobs for my degree. So I neded up working in a pizza place for Dh's friend's mom making min. wage for 20 hours a week. We were making $1,000 a month. I was applying for jobs like crazy. Our utilites were getting turned off and on. Our cars were breaking down and we could barely pay rent. Finally we sucked it up, packed up our things and moved 5 hrs away to live with my mom. Within 3 months of moving DH had a really good factory job, and I got two very well paying jobs using my Psych. Degree. We have at least tripled our income. We got off Foodstamps and everything else. It was the best feeling in the world! I'm thankful that those programs were there for us. I am even more thankful that we do not need them anymore.

Share you success stories!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Just for Fun

• In 2002 my ex and me split up and I found out he had stopped paying alot of bills and took as much money as he could when I threw him out. He left me and my 4 kids homeless without money. He was the one with the good job and I gave mine up when we married to care for the kids. I was even homeless at one time and the kids at my moms. I had to have food stamps and medicaid to feed the kids once we moved to VA to be together. I worked but still needed the help. I ended up getting engaged and again my husband got laid off and again we needed help. He is now with a new company going on 2 yrs and we need no aid. It would be nice lol some weeks I wonder how we make it. But its great knowing we can make it without anyones help and I dont have to work.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Your situation is exactly what PA is for. It helps fill in the gap between not needing help ~ needing help ~ not needing help any longer. It is the people who see it as their 'job', have no intentions of ever doing anything but living off the gov't and complaining, or those who don't have a family member who ever worked that cause the problems. Not people like you or those who just need a boost for a short while.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i tried applying, twice, and got denied because my income is apparently too high. i have 2 babies under the age of 2 - cant afford 40% of my bills with the cost of living increase every year. i havent had a salary increase in THREE years! and they say my income is too high for me and the 2 babies. it helps those who qualify, which is good, but im in DIRE NEED of help and i cant get any!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2011