• In the Spotlight:

Question about cooking a boston butt in a crock pot?

I was told i can cook a boston butt in a crock pot on high for all night plus all day. Said all i have to do is cover it in water & keep it covered in water adding water as needed. I have a couple questions about this. Will it not get food poisoned sitting in a crock pot for all night plus all day? Will the meat be tender cooking it on high? Yesterday i cooked a small roast in the crock pot for about 8 hours & it was so tough that we couldn't hardly chew it. Does anybody know anything about cooking meats in crock pots?

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'm just wondering what you want the pork roast to be like when it's done? Do you want it to fall apart or be able to slice it?

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• To slice & chop it up. We are doing it for BBQ sandwiches. I just don't want it to turn out like that roast i cooked yesterday. We are doing the boston butts for 4th of July, I ordered me a outdoor electric smoker to use in the future but it won't arrive til after the 4th, so we will have to cook the boston butts in a crock pot this time.
    Honda309

Comment by Honda309 (original poster) at 7:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would cook on low for about 10 hours and you should only need 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water. Don't forget the salt and pepper. Try not to open the lid until the end.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Low and slow is the key to very tender meat especially when you want to make BBQ.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/634102

Low and slow for pork.

treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When I cook our meat for BBQ pulled sandwhiches, I cook the meat on hi w about 3/4 cup water, half a onion, a chopped garlic, seasoned rub for about 2-3 hours, depending on poundage of the meat, then take out about 1/2 the liquid, discard, take remaining liquid & mix with BBQ sauce, Lots!! & turn crock pot down to low & cook for another 3-4 hours..during last 45 minutes of cooking, I seperate the meat some & add more sauce if needed. Hope this was helpful :-)
    LaughsAlot

Answer by LaughsAlot at 8:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• NOT all day & night - it won't get tough, and you won't get food poisoning, but it will get SO soft it'll be mushy. Either all day on low, or overnight on low. And NEVER totally cover ANY cut of meat with water in the crock pot - an inch or so will be more than plenty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I always brown mine first and add seasonings and beer or ginger ale- not plain water if I have to. You do not need to cook it that high and that long. I also don't have only about and inch of 2 of liquid, do not smother it. Look forcrock pot pulled pork recipes.
    http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS434US434&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+make+pulled+pork+in+a+crock+pot
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2011