Tips for getting rid of mice

It seems we have a mouse in our house. We have a cat but he's not terribly interested. Help!

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 7:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I live in a farm so mice are part of our life unfortunately. We get field mice. The Tom Cat brand works the best. I would start with glue traps. The other glue traps (other brands) dont have as much glue so they can get off of it. A mouse will chew its own leg off to get off a glue trap FYI. Poison under the house also works as long as you know you dont have any other pets who would go under the house. Tom cat also sells bait traps that are child and pet proof. We use those but the problem is they eat it, and then if they die in the wall it will smell.
    Close up all the holes in and around the house bigger then a pencil. You can put steel wool in it. They wont chew through that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've found traps work the best! If you use De con, they go off and die and stink horribly! Sticky strips are terrible because they get stuck on them and you get the pleasure of disposing of them alive! Go with a trap and put peanut butter on it, that way they really have to lick it off, then the trap goes off! Good luck!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree with the anichols, traps are best.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We get mice every winter because we have 10 acres of woods behind us. My hubby uses a mouse trap with peanut butter on it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We get them too... Thankfully just in one area in our house (a closet which holds the hot water tank). We keep a trap in there with peanut butter all year round. We usually just get them in the fall, although we did get a suprise a week ago... ugh. I hate it, but we cant figure out where they are getting in from.

I would just do traps! I would hate to have a dead rotting mouse in my walls or something... yuck,
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 12:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've had luck with those sticky traps. We've caught two on those.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Get a cat-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Darn I see that you have a cat. We have never had a rodent problem, even when we lived in the country as we've always had 1-2 cats.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Limit the cat's food and it will start to get interested ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011