How do you feel about this statement?

"I told her she owed it to her children to expose them to Christianity, instead of being closed minded. She is condemning them to Hell"

this came from another thread. if she sees it feel free to own it. how do you feel about alleged "Christians" damning your children to hell because you don't expose them to their god? Intolerance much?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "athiests pushing their non-beliefs all over the place."

Alright. You're right. I've noticed sooo many atheists going door to door, predicting the end of the world, handing out pamphlets, and proclaiming that you're damning your children to the hell we don't believe in. What a load of ignorance. Christian children should be able to be exposed to many views from their friends- muslim, jewish,wiccan,buddhist,and yes atheist- without worrying. Questioning is good. It gives them a deeper understanding of their faith and why they believe it. Atheist children hear about god all the time. It's in no way the same as condemning a child to hell. And how does that endear us to your religion any?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It is statements like that, that invite the Christian bashing.   If they weren't so arrogant and pushy, there would be very little bashing from non Christians.

Christians (not all but many)  demand respect, tolerance and religious freedom yet they are unwilling to reciprocate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I can't stand it. First off people are drawing conclusions about what I expose my daughter to. Secondly, how dare anyone threaten me and my own?

When my daughter was quite young, I went to a local market and a woman was shoving pamphlets at people. I declined and the woman told me I needed to take one or my daughter was going to Hell. I told her I'd take my chances.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Even as a Christian I find such statements tactless and rude. I find it ironic, the way some Christians act so contradictory to the nature/message of Christ while using his name to validate their actions.

Even if there is a hell I don't believe Jesus would have convinced anyone of it that way. He never seemed to be on the offensive with people, if you get what I mean - the only ones he actually "called out" in any way were the religious hypocrites, the self righteous who were puffed up with arrogance and self superiority, those legalistic and dogmatic ones who used their faith to look down on others instead of having love for them. Such statements reflect that attitude much more than the attitude of Christ. He reached people through love and through leading them to find the truth within themselves. He never pushed or forced it on anyone, never condemned. And he never insisted on Christianity - he was a Jew. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Honestly? If someone said that to me in real life, I'd tell them to fuck off. I have little tolerance for anyone condemning my children to anything.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I know Jesus would not say that...

Funny that some Christians feel they are above Jesus & can accuse people of going to hell when he himself would never do such a thing to someone.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• She's entitled to her opinion, although I disagree with it. I have a sneaking suspicion that her definition of "exposing" means being a follower of christianity. Personally, I don't see many christians being open minded with their children about atheism. Or Judiasm. Or being Muslim. Or Wiccan. Or anything, to be honest. If anything, atheists tend to expose their children to many beliefs because most of their friends are religious so it comes up. "Johnny is celebrating Easter because he's Catholic. His family believes..." "Seth is celebrating Hannukah tonight with his family. They believe..." How many christians explain atheism in a non biased way? Who's the close minded one?
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 10:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• OK I haven't read all the responses yet but it seems to me that this thread has gotten off track.  Everyone seems to be arguing about children saying this or that to other children.  The original statement was said to me in my thread.  No actual children were harmed in the making of that statement!  

The point is, what gives someone the right to make such statements in the first place?  Do you have any idea how contemptuous that makes us towards you and your religion? 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think it's very sad that she or anyone would believe that.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• That's not right to say anymore than athiests pushing their non-beliefs all over the place. They are so bent on trying to prove their is no God that children who are believers are hearing it. It can't be had both ways.
    *************

First- I wouln NEVER tell someone "there is no God" I would say I don not personally believe there is one. There is a BIG difference between having a kid hear me say I don't believe in one, and having my kid hear they are going to burn in Hell for not believeing in one
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2011