Breastfeeding ?s

I have a 2 month old daughter and she was gaining alot of weight at the beginning of life, over what most children gain and now she only gained two ounces in like three weeks or so.... they told me that my breast milk supply may be low and before i had an abundance, i do feel less full.. why would i just drop in milk supply? and also her wet diapers are fine, like ten a day.. i am worried she is not getting enough... and one more thing, she is not pooping normal it has been like 5 days is this normal?

thanks for your answers....

mykidsloveme08

Asked by mykidsloveme08 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son would only poop once a week, breastfed babies can go up to 21 days without a bowel movement. Stress can cause a low supply of milk. drink LOTS of water!! especially now that its summer and its hotter out! they make these pills to increase supply, I have no idea what the name is, but maybe ask your doctor or pharmacist??
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You will stop feeling as full once your breast supply stabilizes - that's normal, or always was for me. Babies gain at different rates and it's not always a steady pattern of gain. As long as she is having at least 6-8 wet diapers/day she is getting enough. Pooping amounts can vary but as long as she is having them, it's okay.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son went 16 days without pooping at one point when he was around a month old. I was freaking out!!! But he was fine :) Missanc is right about your breast supply, mine did the same thing. It is good to drink water, but not neccesary to force fluids. As long as you are drinking your regular amount of water you are fine. If it helps to see how much you are drinking you can get a Nalgene bottle or something else with the exact ounces written on it and pour/drink your water out of it so you know exaclty how much you are taking in. It is so hard to keep track of things like that as a new mommy :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When your supply syncs to what your LO needs, you will feel less full. With BMs, breastfed babies can go often (7X per day) or once every 10 days or any place in between and it's all 'normal'. If you milk supply 'dropped', you would see a decrease in wet diapers. Since it hasn't, you are doing perfectly and so is your LO!

Gaining 2 ounces in 3 weeks is something I feel you should follow up on.  Typical weight gain is .5 - 1.5 ounces per day at this stage.  You'd expect a minimum gain of 10 ounces over 3 weeks.  It might be related to her BM pattern though.  Will your doctor charge if you were to bring her in and just check her weight?  I wouldn't want you to wait very long before weight is checked again.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You are changing even more then the amount of diapers that is needed to know if your supply is good. You should look for 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, and you're doing more then that, so, your supply is fine. It could be that you had an oversupply, and it has stabilized to the amount that she needs. It's not abnormal or dangerous for EBF babies to have changes in their bowel habits around this age. As long as the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like, it's safe for an EBF baby to go up to about 3 weeks in between bowel movements. Keep an eye on the weight, but I'll bet that she goes through a growth spurt soon and begins gaining. As long as she IS gaining, and NOT losing, and you've got the diaper count, I really think that everything is fine. If you're really worried, speak with an IBCLC and go to LLL meetings. They'll put your mind at ease.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Normal average gain is 4-6 ounces per week. If she was gaining more than that initially, then this is the expected slowdown. It's fine.

Feeling less full is PERFECT. Soft floppy breasts are the ones that are working right.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Feeling less full is completely normal :) It's your supply evening itself out. If you are concerend check kellymom.com. They have alot of great info :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Personally, I always had production problems, but it's genetic. From the sound of things, you're just regulating to the amount she needs. Weight gain can vary. She could just be having a slow spell & start gaining more again soon.
    sarenaerin

Answer by sarenaerin at 10:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011