Did your kindergartner cry after their first day when they got home?

We are planning on taking DD to school on her first day and allowing her to ride the bus home. I asked DH if he thought about taking the day off to be there to meet her teacher and for her when she gets off the bus, so life can see a bit normal after this big change in her life.

No, DD didn't go to preschool (another story... drama.. yikes) she HAS been to a babysitters but there were 5 kids there and one was her sister.

I know all kids are different I am just trying to get some idea before she starts school soon (year round here)

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 8:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've had 3 kids start kindergarten and none of them cried. They were all excited to go to school. My son never went to preschool or day care. He did a class at our park for an hour a week when he was 3 but he was with his older sister. That was 2 years before he started kindergarten. He never cried or anything when he started school (he's going into 4th grade now).
    Kid #4 starts kindergarten in the fall. She did preschool at 3 but not at 4. She's super excited and will be taking the bus to and from school the first day (with her brother and sister). My kids were never fazed by any of this stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son didn't go to pre-school either. He had been to vacation bible schools, and was babysat with 4 or 5 other kids for a few months before Kindergarten. We went to a Kindergartner orientation and he met his teacher about a week before school started. On his first day of Kindergarten i took him myself and he told me he didn't need me to walk him into the building or to his classroom, he could do it himself. I hugged him and let him go. He was striking his independence. He loves school and hasloved it seince day one; he is going into 3rd grade now. I think it just depends on the personality of the child. I remember crying at naptime every day for the first week or two of Kindergarten, but was fine before and after school. For most of my friends, it was way harder on mom than on the Kindergartner. Good luck!
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• In pre-k I had two who cried but only long enough til they didnt see me. The teacher told me it was normal and a reaction to see if the parent will turn around and come back. In kinder they didnt care they were all bye mom! Just be prepared because if she cries the teacher will tell you to go now and dont come back. Its because all kids do this and as soon as redirected and they dont see you they do fine.

Answer by gemgem at 8:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son never went to pre-k either. He went daily to a home daycare provider who had about 6 other full-time children. On the first day of kindergarten he rode the bus to school but I met the bus at school to make sure he was doing ok. He was thrilled that he was able to ride the bus but finding mom at the school made him very happy. Once the bell rang and I had to leave he had already pretty much forgotten me because the teacher had given all the kids blocks to play with. He rode the bus home that day and I met him at the bus stop. He absolutely loved his first day. He talked about it for hours after he got home. I know that it was way harder for me than it was for him. Good luck!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 9:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My daughter did go to preschool, but not for the year prior to Kindergarten. She was in daycare/preschool 2-3 days per week until she was 4. Also, my daughter is EXTREMELY shy, I was very worried about Kindergarten, but prior to they had an orientation day that we went to, we got to do a test run on the school bus, etc... I ALWAYS kept it positive and NEVER made a single comment about the possibility that she wouldn't like it or be nervous or anything like that. She could not WAIT to ride the bus every day. All summer I heard talk about how excited she was for that, but knowing how she handles these things, I was terrified that once the bus pulled up, she'd hide behind my legs and refuse to get on. Guess what? She climbed right aboard, turned and smiled for her 1st day of school picture and off she went. I thought about her every second on that first day, nervous about how it was going....cont...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The bus pulled up to drop her off and she came running off with HUGE smiles. PHEW! She just had her last day of K last week and had a fabulous year. Her K was 1/2 day so now 1st grade is going to be a bit of a transition going full day, but she is psyched for it. Keep it positive and light and bet she surprises you. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My kids have all loved school, and they would run inside and forget all about me! lol When they came home they were full of good stories and how much fun they had. If you act like it's a happy, good time, it will be more likely that she will react positively. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Mine cried when he had to leave orientation - he didn't want to go home yet. He was better on the first day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2011