Does anyone have any experience with Rapid Palatal Expanders?

An Orthodontist told me my 7 1/2 yr old would need a Rapid Palatal Expander ASAP to make room for teeth to come in (he has a very small jaw). Has anyone had a child with one before? Do they hurt? Effect speech & eating? I have never herd of them before.

Any info or stories would be appreciated.

Vinobaby

Asked by Vinobaby at 8:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just looked up what you are asking about, and it looks exactly like what my son had, except his orthodontist called it a transpalatal expander, or T-rex. For my son it wasn't painful, but achy when he got it. It did affect his speech. He had to retrain himself to talk without a lisp. It probably took him about 10 days to get used to it being in his mouth. We had to turn the key 1/2 turn every other night for...I want to say six months? It may have been three. (It's been six years.) I will give you some advice on the key turns. Have your child lay on his bed, with his head hanging off, upside down. It makes it SO much easier to get the key turned when you can see everything that is going on! lol.
    Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 3, 2011

• I had one, but not that young...don't remember any major pain, do remember retaining eating and such...but not sure if the style is the same as way back when. Sure beats a whole lot of other options!
    Imma...

Answer by Imma... at 6:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011