Which is safer for the baby bassinet/crib OR co-sleeping with Mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can actually by a side-sleeper that is basically connected and open to your bed, but gives your baby their own space...but allows you to keep a hand on their back, etc. :)
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We co-slept with both our babies, and our ped docs DID not like that! We also used bassinet/cradle and crib. They say crib is the best thing, but our little guys had problems regulation their body temp and both DH and I are light sleepers so it was never a problem. I wouldn't recommend co-sleeping if you are a heavy sleeper, drink heavily, use any kind of medication/drug that would make you unaware, but co-sleeping has been around for hundreds of years so we did it. Both of our kids now sleep in their own beds and never in ours now, including our 6 month old.
    Cristl_2000

Answer by Cristl_2000 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Bassinet/crib

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Everything i have seen says crib, crib, crib.... But my little 16 month old has been co-sleeping since she was born and she is alive and healthy - Plus a huge cuddle bug...
    Even my older daughter slept with us until she was a little over 2... It does depend on the family but i do enjoy the cuddling and having my baby right there with me... When my girls say at one of the grandmas house even they sleep with them...
    We are just one big co-sleeping and cuddling family lol...
    Best of luck to you :-)
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 8:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If you are breastfeeding, co-sleeping. If formula feeding, crib. Of course if you take any meds that make you sleepy, have medical conditions that cause you to sleep deeply, or drink alcohol, it is always best to put baby in their own bed.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• At newborn we used a bassinet and coslept then moved to the crib.

Answer by gemgem at 8:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't think either is safer. I think both ways are just fine. When I was 19, I took custody of my nephew when he was 10 days old. It was a big surprise, so I didn't have any baby items at all. I had no crib and was supporting myself and a baby, so I did co-sleeping with him. When he was transitioned back to his parents when he was around 2, the co-sleeping caused some problems. He wouldn't or couldn't go to sleep alone. I think learning to sleep alone was hard on him. (The transition wasn't very hard, I went with him and stayed with him for months and then slowly started spending nights at my own house.) So when I had my son years later, i never did any co-sleeping with him because I didn't want him to go through the adjustment of learning to sleep alone.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• for me co-sleeping. My kids have all had cribs, and they all slept in their big kid bed after 1yr with no problem, but I love to cosleep with them! Currently I am breastfeeding my 10 month old still and he is still cosleeping. I dont drink or do any drugs that would make it dangerous for him. So to me cosleeping is the best situation for my family!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm so damn sick of hearing how dangerous co-sleeping is. There is a safe way to do it and a dangerous way to do it- just like crib sleeping.

I just wish doctors wouldn't demonize co-sleeping- it's the natural thing to do. After all, you don't see other animals putting their young in a separate cave because they need to get their sleep do you?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• depends on the family.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011