What do you think of this quote?

I saw this in the journals section.  Naturally, I disagree with it, and responded that I'm no Don Quixote, tilting at windmills.  I can't fight something I don't believe exits.

What do  you think of this?  Do you agree with the pastor, or do you think he supposes that everyone truly must believe in a god, just chooses to fight the notion?

An atheist is always fighting a God he doesn't even believe in!

- PASTOR JOHN HAGEE -

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Simplistic
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'd have to hear more of his reasoning, but right now I'd have to disagree. I think that atheists don't care, so there is no fighting.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I disagree. That would be like saying I am fighting Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy because I don't believe in them.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 9:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would have to hear it in full context to make a decision.. Think about it like this.. He is a pastor.. so he believes in absolute God. Perhaps he is not saying they are conciously fighting.. what if its a subconscious or spiritual battle.. mabye its a God they dont believe in and a battle they dont even know is going on?? However if he means an atheist is always (knowingly and willingly) fighting a God they dont believe exist. I dont think I agree with that.. I would really need to hear his reasoning.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I personally do not believe in a higher power, but do not fault those who do, nor try to make them defend their stance or denounce their god. However, I have seen a LOT of that on CM.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• THey would like to think so. They think atheist spend all their time hating and worrying about this god they don't believe in when in fact...they don't care. I can't speak for everyone but this statement just shows ignorance
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• He's a gem, alright. He's known for sayings like, "Death is better than compromise" and "All hurricanes are acts of God because God controls the heavens. I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God and they were recipients of the judgment of God for that."

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't get how people actually think Atheists can fight a God they don't believe in. It's almost as nonsensical as the idea of Atheists being mad at a God they don't think exists....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I disagree.  LOL  at the comment. Not surprised by it though. That is the general train of thought for some people.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's not quite accurate.  It should read.....An atheist is always fighting off the followers of a god he doesn't even believe in.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2011