Your 2cts?

Do you walk around town publicly critiquing grammar of complete strangers? Do you approach a bottle feeder to tell her how she's dooming her child to a life of torment for being selfish? Do you stalk day cares just to tell a mom she's letting strangers raise her kid and if only she'd not be so greedy she too could raise a well adjusted kid on her own? Do you seek out young mom's to tell them why they were wrong not to wait? In other words, do you expend the energy to help mothers avoid the tragic mistakes of failing to see the world in the right way -- which you, so clearly see - in real life or do you just save it for the sweet anonymity of the internet?

I've marveled this morning over the sanctimonious and at times down right bitchy replies that did nothing more than criticize grammar rather than offer helpful insights or berated a mother for her lack of perfection. Why?

I'm curious. Are you the same person online that you are in person? Why or why not?

ldmrmom

Asked by ldmrmom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• BUMP! Good question! I think some people feel so shitty about themselves & their life, that they have to come on here & belittle others to feel better about their pathetic self...

I have been totally honest on here & sometimes, the asker doesn't like my response & i sometimes get lots of down votes for my honestly. But, i will never belittle, call names or play grammar police. I'm here to help & give an honest opinion. BUT. sometimes....my honest opinions are not appreciated & people get pissed at my honesty. There is a difference between belittling & having an honest opinion.

I don't bother strangers on the street....people on here ask for advice & want to talk...so i give my opinion on here more so than i do in real life.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I hold my opinion back until it is asked of me. Here...strangers ask me for my opinion...on the streets...not so much. However, I think there are ways to be honest without being accusing, and people lose that here sometimes.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If I'm asked my opinion, I give it. Not rudely but I'm also not going to lie about how I may feel about certain things just to make someone feel better about their decisions.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• popcorn 

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I am the same person in person that I am online.. somewhat.

I'm nice until someone is rude to me..then I can a get a little bitchy!

As far as someone spanking their child, which I TOTALLY disagree with, I will be honest on here & say I disagree with it..but I will also be honest & say if I see a parent doing it, I mind my business.

I have strong views on certain things & I'm not afraid to give my opinion.....online or in person.

I agree with you though.. some people are incredibly rude & unhelpful & only comment to be mean.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If someone asks me, then yes I usually tell them the truth and that's the difference. Here, people are asking. As far as the grammar thing, yes I inwardly cringe when I hear people misuse the English language. I don't comment, but it does shape my opinion about them.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I believe in tact in most cases. People on the street don't ask for my opinion, and people do here. But I do think the same things in real life, I just don't say them unless someone asks.

As for spelling and grammar, it's the way people present themselves. If someone has bad spelling and grammar (not just a typo, everyone has those), it's the same as them wearing dirty, torn clothing and having hair that hasn't been washed or brushed in weeks. So it IS important, just as important as it is to look presentable in public.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Im the same person in both worlds.. but Im not a over obsessed, over opinionated closed minded jerk in the real world.. :)
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• As I said I am not rude about how I present my opinion. I do not rip people down for their choice. However, even with the example you present (breastfeeding) , some people get very defensive when you start saying why you think breastfeeding is best and take it as a personal attack when all you are doing is presenting your thoughts on it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I am the same person online as I am in real life, too. It galls me when someone replies to an original post with mean and hateful comments; it's just unnecessary. I then make it my mission to pick the offending person's post apart and point out all of the grammatical errors and tell them how ridiculous I think they're being. I get that everyone has an opinion about everything - but if you can't be nice and/or respectful in the first place then just keep it to yourself and don't respond.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011