When is it time to tell them the truth about Santa?

I know I don't really need to worry about it right now cuz my oldest is 3 and just started to believe in Santa but, i was just wondering cuz i remeber being sooo disappointed when i found out about Santa, i got into arguments wit other kids on the bus...told my mom she was a liar...and then she told me about The Easter Bunny and The tooth fairy...i was devastated and i was 12. but i was the oldest and my other siblings were still young so maybe they waited hoping i wouldn't say anything to them?

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 9:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• I found out about them when i was 10-11 so thats when i plan to tell my children unless they already know.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 9:37 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My 13 year old figured it out last year. My 10 and 8 year olds still believe. My 2 year old does not now yet. She just likes all the Christmas stuff. Specially the tree lights.
    Country220

Answer by Country220 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• wow so old when you all found out my mom told me over chinese food when i was 6!
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I found out in the fourth grade, however, my 4 year old is already starting to wonder what is going on. We went to see Santa at the mall and he knew that it was not the same Santa that came to his pre-school last year. He has been asking a lot of questions. But my husband and I have decided that when he starts asking if Santa is real or not then that is when we will tell him the truth.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't plan to ever tell my kids he isn't real. Then again, I have never said right out that he is real. I just imply he is by talking about him as a real person. I think most kids figure it out by 9 or 10. My oldest is 8 1/2 and I've started to "guide" her to the realization by asking her thought provoking questions about the concept. I don't think she has really believed the last two years but wants to still believe. My son is 7 and I think he realizes the story makes no sense but since the other 2 kids (6 and 2) believe they say nothing. They are pretty smart, though, so I'm sure they will figure it out.
    When the day comes that they ask me straight up or just say, "I think Santa isn't real," then I will tell them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My kids are 2, 4, and 5 and know he isn't real. That doesn't stop them from using their imagination and pretending he's real and I'm fine with that. I just want them to really KNOW what WE celebrate Christmas for. They know Incredible Hulk and Spiderman aren't real too but they still pretend!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I agree wholeheartedly with ReneeK3....My kids grew up knowing that the story about Jesus is the real reason for the celebration, but we also read Santa stories, and told them about St. Nicholas (that Santa is a reminder of a REAL person who loved to give to children) I also told them that if they went along with the Santa 'thing', their stockings would get filled, and if they chose NOT to go along and 'believe', who would fill their stockings? (SO, knowing MOM is SANTA, they still, at ages 17, 23, and 26, enjoy the family tradition of 'Santa' filling the stockings) make sense?
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 1:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I have found that I believe in the Spirit of Christmas and pass this down as our family tradition.
    My oldest daughter was in a private christian school when it was going around that Santa was not real (9-10 year olds). She came home very frustrated. I asked her if she believed in the Saint, if she believed in miracles & if she believed in love. Hence, we all believe in Santa Claus and what he represents. One Christmas, we were really low on money, (going through a divorce) and we experienced the Miracle of Christmas. As we finished our Christmas Eve book, there was a knock at the door and presents were all that was there. This reinforced the Spirit of Christmas and led to our new family tradition, making miracles happen at Christmas. SAnta Claus represents more than a man in a red suite.
    beyondme

Answer by beyondme at 2:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We aren't presenting Santa as any thing other than a nice pretend story, but if any of my kids were to somehow draw the conclusion that he was real, I would talk to them about it immediately.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 3:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't think it's right to tell anyone that Santa is not real...they will figure it out eventually! That way they won't get there heart broken. My oldest figured it out , but my youngest beleives still (kinda). My oldest one is always telling him that Santa isn't real and we tell them both that if you don't beleive in Santa you wont get any gifts,lol. Lets just say the oldest one pretends to beleive,lol.
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 3:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2008