Need advice on how to discipline a 3yr with ASD. He likes to slap & kick when upset. Any feedback will be appreciated.

autisticmomto1

Asked by autisticmomto1 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my daughter was being mean a violent we put her on her bed until she wanted to be nice.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My oldest has ASD, and what I did was I started to write down his 'incidents' and see if there was a pattern, or what caused him to be upset and start hitting/kicking. Then I would change what I could. Example-- he would have a meltdown over wearing jeans- he hated the snap and zipper-- so to eliminate his frustration I got rid of the jeans and bought him sweat pants or pull-on pants. (now that he is older he does like jeans and will wear them). I have found that having a routine helps, and also giving transition time between activities. ex- "in 5 minutes we will need to turn this show off and go wash up for lunch". When I would see him start to get upset, we would go into 'calming techniques' -- deep breaths, and I would give him time to himself to get calmed down. Sometimes catching it early stopped the hitting.
    continued....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• When we are not able to prevent a melt-down and he starts in with the screaming, hitting, destructive behavior he goes to his 'quiet space' (his room or the bathroom). I leave him alone to calm himself down and get over the melt down. When he is calm again we talk about what happened, what might have caused it, and see what we can do about it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• What do they do at school? I'd do the same. Some kids will do time-out, others need a sensory break or weighted blanket. Do you have a behavioral support specialist? They are a wealth of information. Let the other experts in his life give you ideas on what works. Because it's a spectrum, the answer isn't the same for everyone.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011