What age is the right age for overnight summer camp?

My son will be 9 in August and is asking to go to an overnight summer lacrosse camp. Its only 4 days and 3 nights Sun-Wed but we feel he's a little too young to go to camp all day and night by himself. We decided to do the 8am-8pm option where he will sleep at home and he will only miss nighttime activities. What age do you feel is appropriate for overnight camp?

sprout18

Asked by sprout18 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids started at 8 and 9, but they were at the same camp at the same time. It's a 6 day/5 night camp. It's the same overnight camp I went to as a child too, and some of the same people are still there! so I felt very comfortable. They love it and have a great time every year. As long as they had a friend going at the same time, I would let them go.

Answer by missanc at 10:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My very shy daughter who I also homeschool so isn't away from me much at all, went to church camp last year. She was 7. This year she went to 4-H camp. She did great. I carried the phone everywhere including the bathroom waiting for a call to pick her up. Last year she was so busy she didn't have time to even write to me let alone get homesick. I think it just depends on the child's maturity. If he won't be a behavioral problem when not in your sight, he is well old enough to go. Children's camps are saturated with adults or near adults to keep an eye on them. Honestly I think it's the parents that have a harder time with it. Dropping her off this year I couldn't drive out of the parking lot for a while because I cried. And mind you, she is my 4th.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think it really depends on the child.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 5:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• 9 is a good age
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2011