Formula is poison!

VENT...

So when I first started BF our now 6 mo DD we had a few minor hitches with milk supply and had to supplement, and we still do today b/c I don't pump enough during the day at work. In the beginning a friend made me feel like giving her formula was poisoning her!! I felt terrible and stressed, which didn't help the supply issues we were having to begin with. Well I just found out she used formula as well, b/c she also had supply issues too!! In fact, she only BF a few of her kids for just a couple months!! AHHH I wanted to knock her into next week!!! Not knocking of those who FF, but damn don't harp on people who chose to FF or BF lady!!! I'm done lol thanks.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• So let me get this right: she gave you crap for supplementing with formula, when it turns out she did the exact same thing and actually breast fed for less time than you have?

You have my permission to poke her in the eye with a sharp, pointed stick.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Some people are just stupid, the only way they feel good about themselves is to put others down. I wasn't able to bf, dried up around 6 weeks after my first was born. I tried all kinds of stuff(throught the dr.'s offfice) and none of it worked so I had no choice but to ff. There is no shame in making sure you child is feed!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If it was poison.. I think we would know it. lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• well i raised 3 children on poision from day one then.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have supplemented a few times with formula and haven't thought twice about it...HOWEVER, the research is starting to suggest FF babies are at a higher risk for diabetes and weight control....of course more research is needed.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• ill never understand the obsession some women have with how other women choose to feed their babies.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• wow! yeah i was kind of belittled into formula feeding with first two by my mom. my third one i started out formula feeding and she was not getting enough was fussy so i tried bf and she would relax and go to sleep but now they got me on medicine and i cannot bf it sadden me to.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There are so many more dangerous things people do to their kids everyday. Formula is not poison. Now let's see handsanitizer, sunscreen, household cleaners, and so on now those are poisons.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Formula is the "fast food" of infant food. If it's your only option, it's better than nothing. And once in a while in addition to breast-milk it's no deal at all. BUT, breast is best. There are health issues that come along with feeding formula rather than breast milk. And just like everyone who eats McDonalds every day isn't overweight, every child who survives on formula isn't sickly, but that still doesn't make it a healthy option if you have others.

So no, you aren't doing anything wrong by supplementing with formula. And yes, formula is full of some rather questionable things, things you would never think of feeding a child, but when it's the only option to get your child a full belly, you do it.

PERSONALLY, I had to supplement with my oldest, and I would do it again, BUT, I made my own formula, I would never give them all those nasty chemicals. - But that's me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I HAD to supplement my oldest-he is great! My daughter had to be supplemented at 9 months because she wasn't putting on enough weight. She had to be on the formula that preemies get just to put on some pounds. I am all for BF but we have to make exceptions!
    runnermamaof2

Answer by runnermamaof2 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2011