37 weeks pregnant one leg/foot swollen

I just reached my 37th week today and for the last5 days I've been having issues with one of my lower legs and foot swelling. I feel pretty much okay besides the slight headache. I figured when it started swelling like this, to sit down off of it but that doesn't change anything it still stays swollen from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed. It is so swollen that if I place something on it (flip flops on foot, sit with feet dangling off the bed) for no more than 5 minutes, I have very deep imprints. My foot burns and turns red when I put on my flip flops and its irritating to walk. I typed this in the search and I got back a condition called preeclampsia. Is this something common, has anyone had this issue and what did your doctor do about it. I am scheduled for my appointment in a few hours so I plan to bring it up to my doctor, but I like to have a heads up in case something is wrong. Before I had regular swelling in both feet but now my right foot doesn't swell at all just the left side and sometimes my left hand as well.

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 10:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• At this point it could be any number of issues. The swelling is actually less of a concern to me at 37 weeks than the headache you mentioned. Definitely speak with your doctor about it immediately and honestly, make sure your hospital bag is packed in case you need to go in immediately. Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Preeclampsia could be the issue, but it is also common to swell, especially this late in the pregnancy. My feet and ankles swelled so much it was crazy! But I didn't have preeclampsia. Try to put your feet up often and drink lots of water. I'd also mention it to your doc so that he/she can rule out preeclampsia and/or give you more instruction on what to do to control swelling. Good luck, you're almost there!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 10:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• the baby could b on a nerve thats makeing it swell like this but id call your ob just to make sure!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It could be a sign of pre eclampsia. You also mentioned a headache which is another sign. Definitely tell your doctor. If you have high blood pressure, your doctor will check your urine for protein. Pre eclampsia can be very dangerous and if it is determined that you have it, your doctor will keep a very close eye on you and possibly induce you depending on the risk to you and baby.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• you need to call your dr. If it is one leg and it gets red and burning you could have a blood clot.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I went to the doctor as I suspected it is pre eclampsia I've been put on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy and only hope for the best. Thanks for all your comments.
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011