My significant other has HPV

We chose not to be sexually active until we're married, so I know that I do not have HPV. Yes, he does have genital warts, which comes along with the virus.

My question is - How can I prevent getting HPV? I know there is gardasil, which I am getting in a few weeks, does that prevent me from getting the virus? And is there anything that I can take (such as gardasil) from contracting the genital warts? Will it ever go away, or will the warts ALWAYS be there? I read online for men with HPV, the virus usually clears up in about 2 years.

Also - We do want kids together, so if we have sex when he doesn't have an outbreak, will that guarantee I won't get GW?

Please no bashing, he is my other half, I am not just going to up and run because of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Health

• condoms
    no sex during breakouts

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• there is the vaccine that will help prevent it. past that, no sex during breakouts and condoms are your best bet. I have never heard of HPV clearing up on it;s own.. the strand I have (damn exdh) causes cervical cancer and no one mentioned it every going away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• condoms don't always work against HPV...

Gardisil, or whatever it's called only works for a few select strains. There are over 100 different strains of HPV. So, maybe he should get tested to see if he has the strain that the Gardasil protects against.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• In MEN, it clears up in about 2 years, I have read that on every website I researched for HPV in men. In woman, it doesn't clear up/go away, especially the cancer ones. At least that's what I read, sorry if this information is wrong.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have heard of HPV clearing up on it's own. If you have a great immune system, you can fight against the virus. In some people, their immune system can fight it off. You can take steps to improve your immune system. Google "boost immunity HPV" or something like that & you'll get a ton of info about it. I have a close friend who has/had it. She said it went away. But, when she got it...we both did a TON of googling to figure out a way to get rid of it. She says her immune system kicked it, but she did go through all the trouble of doing special diets & cleanses. She was on a super health kick trying to get rid of it. She says it worked...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Talk to your doc.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• just so you know some virgins even have hpv, it's highly contangious and most people don't even know they have it. get gardasil, even women who don't have multiple partners should get that shot. hpv doesn't mean you will ever have a break out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• my friend was a chick....also, my gyno says it clears up in women too. My ex told me he had it years after we divorced, but just in case..i felt i should go to the gyno anyway. She says she has no reason to believe that i have it. but to obviously keep an eye on things. But, she did inform me that many WOMEN and men can clear up completely if they're really healthy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• The vaccine only protects certain types of HPV(and has some pretty nasty side affects), yes hpv can clear up on it's own over time but there is no cure for it. Your other half can get medicine to help clear up break outs and/or have them removed. There really are a few options out there, you and he should go and talk to your family Dr. to see what treatments would be best for the 2 of you.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• if it's warts they actually have medication to help speed up the clearing up of the virus.
    Warts can clear up on their own, but they can worsen as well, so it's best to get them checked out.. I wouldn't recommend sex, because condoms only cover his penis, and warts can spread easier.

gardasil only protects against 2 types of genital warts.. I believe there are at least 8 kinds, so be sure you know what kind he has, and talk to your OB/GYN about it.

what the 2 years is, is typically, if you get HPV it can take up to 2-8 years to develop symptoms or for your body to fight off the virus, however that's average, it's not meaning it's the same for everyone. here is some links that may be more helpful to you:
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2011