If your baby was born early how early..?

I ask b/c my SIL is having a horrible pregnancy, also she has a gallbladder that needs to be removed causing her many complactions. last night she started to have contractions. They admitted her into the hospital and gave her a shot to stop the contractions. However she is only 25 wks. If your baby was born early if so and at how many weeks, and what were there challanges being born so early. Thanks

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my first son was born at 32 weeks so that made is 8 weeks early, he spent 6 weeks in the NBIC and weighed only 3 pounds. He had two blood transfusions was on breathing assistant and had guandice really bad, had an enlarged heart, and was anemic. But he is three now and doing great. I had my second son at 24 weeks and he weighed only 1 pound....he passed away after only a few minutes after birth.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter was 3 weeks early and she had a hard time keeping milk down. She would always throw up a large amout it was very scary at first. It took her about 5 months to where it was not so bad. Know she is almost 3 and is health as ever. I hope everything goes ok with your SIL good luck.
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My daughter was born at 28 1/2 weeks gestation (3 months/12 1/2 weeks early); she weighed 2 lbs. 2 oz. and was 14 inches long. Spent six weeks in the NICU. She was late to walk but suffered no other developmental delays as a result of her prematurity. She's a perfectly normal, though bit bossy, 8 year old now. Is your SIL expecting a boy or girl? Girls typically do better in these situations. Best of luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Mine was born at 35wks that is 5wks early. He spent 2wks in th NICU because he couldnt breath on his own and he couldnt suck so he was on oxygen and a feeding tube. He did weigh 6lbs 5ozs when he was born which helped him. He is now a normal 2yr old except he is a little slow on his speech but we are working with him on it.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I work with a student that was born at 27 weeks (14 years old now). She has some short term memory problems and some learning disabilities. But this does not hold true to every premie. Every one is different. Good luck to your sister-in-law.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My son was born at 26 weeks. He was 2 lbs 2 oz and 13 inches. He spent 6 weeks in the NICU. He had jaundice really bad, a few blood transfusions, medication closed his PDA, was on a ventilator for a month or so, one suspected infection, one UTI, but thankfully no brain bleeds. He came home with an apnea monitor strapped around his chest, an oxygen tank, and an oxygen monitor. He also took caffeine for the first few months after he came home. He received monthly Synagis shots November - March to help protect against RSV. He had an occupational and physical therapist until his first birthday. We also had to basically go into hiding his first winter (until May) because he has Chronic Lung Disease from being on the vent so long. A cold could have killed him.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 11:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont - He's now 16 months, 24 lbs, 31 inches (right on track). He has some chronic constipation issues, eczema due to food allergies, but he's within normal limits developmentally. He walks, runs, kisses, hugs, talks (especially about his "fishy" lol). I know my son did better than expected and that not everyone does so well and has so few problems. I just wanted to let you know that they aren't always damaged from being premature. You can't even tell with him.
    sjanel

• cont - If her baby is born early I urge you to bring up a delayed vaccine schedule. Preemies can't always handle them when they are 2 months old because if they are born that early they aren't "really" two months old. You still need to go by gestational age until their due date and then (if) you vaccinate do it 2 months after the due date. There is a lot of controversy about this by the way, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. You can think whatever you want about autism, but a lot of people do think vaccines contribute. Look at the autism rate in premature babies. I've seen figures as high as 1 in 4.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 11:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I started having Contraction at 28 weeks, my doc put me on med to stop them and it really didnt help I was Dialated to 2 cm from week 28 till he induced me at 36 weeks because i was in the hospital every week....my DD weighed 5.15 and was healthy so good luck to ur SIL
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 12:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Mine were all born at 39 wks.

My first one I was laboring but after 41 hrs and no dialation,etc we took him via fast c/section.
    The other two were just repeat sections.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2008