My question was removed?!?!?

I posted a question under work and money about domain names.

I purchased a domain name 1 year ago, but I ended up not using it. I received an email this morning from a man who wants to purchase it and asked what I would sell it for. I made a post that asked if someone has ever sold a domain name, how much did it sell for and how did you do it? It was removed because they said it was an advertisement.

I am sure I can find the information on google, but I did want to see if anyone had good advice on here.

Was the removal of my question a mistake or is this really a violation?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 10:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Sounds like someone reported it.. Some people try to report anything. Cafemom should have sent you a message telling you why it was removed..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• maybe you worded it incorrectly?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• hmm I don't know.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would sell it. How much profit are you getting?
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• if it was removed for advertising it was probably the wording.. if it came off to someone and cm as if you were trying to sell it here, then that is why it was removed. however if you worded it just like this^^ I'm not sure why.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• After a certain level. users get the power to mark something as spam, and if enough agree, the question is deleted. If enough people thought you were trying to sell your url and making a fake question to do it, they can delete it without involving CM. (Stupid idea, really. There are people chomping at the bit to abuse it as soon as they're high enough.)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• see if it was put in another category. That abuse is being used in abundance at the moment. If it was simply edit the question.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I worded it almost the same as how I explained it here. Its not word for word, but it has the same information. I didn't see any comments on the post. It was barely there for a few minutes. So, they probably read it too quickly and misunderstood? What is a better category?

Cafemomoftwo217~ I have heard stories about people not knowing how to sell domains and they undersold their name to a company that would have sold it for more. I ended up just telling the guy to leave me a offer and we will go from there.
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• So, they probably read it too quickly and misunderstood? What is a better category?

That one or tech. As for the actual question - a lot of places that offer to buy domains are scams. There are infomercials teaching people get rich quick plans where they're supposed to seek out dead domains and "make a profit" on them, except it's really just the same group of people buying and selling them to each other. Your best bet would be go to through a domain auction or brokering service, so they take the risk of the money never showing up (or the credit card transaction being reported fraudulent once you transfer it).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Oh I didn't think about that. The e-mail could be a scam?

I guess I will wait to see how this guy responds. It seemed legit, but I was also tricked once with a personal looking e-mail about secret shoppers. They sent me a fake money order and told me to test out western union by sending in this money, but keep $100 of it for yourself. I knew it was fake when i saw the money order and I suspected it was a scam when he told me what to do with the money, but the e-mail looked very real and personal for the exception who would directly e-mail you to be a secret shopper?
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2011