Are parents that ignorant?

Why would parents seek parenting advice from doctors, psychologists, therapists, etc.
Don't you understand that, first off some of these so called "professionals" aren't ever parents themselves yet. Second they don't even have regular contact with their kids, they spend time working and furthering their "knowledge", they see their kids and nanny of course everyday and third they will never understand what you are saying because they don't have the simple common sense of putting themselves in your position. So if professionals are not the right ones for parenting advice then what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't go to a doctor for parenting advice. I have little to no faith in doctors. I have only come across one doctor that seemed to know what he was doing and cared about what I had to say.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Doctors study for years to get to where they are. They know the symptoms & signs of certain things that we as parents may not. They have the authority to give medicines to cure things.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm not sure I really understand your question, you are saying parents who seek professional help or questions to their Doctors are Ignorant or are you asking who else there is to talk to if you have a question?? not sure.. not ALL Dr's are horrible. Some really do care, I dont' always have the best luck finding those but.... we all, as parents are doing the best we can for our babies.. mothers like myself where instincts naturally did not kick in have to look elsewhere for advice
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I seek advice from all kinds of places - professionals, the internet, trusted friends, and mostly my mom. Then I take all of that together and decide what makes sense to me.
    But yes, I do take advice from therapists and psychologist - they went to school and have more knowledge about my son's autism than I will ever have. They don't go to school and come out with nothing! They may not know all the practical applications of what they know, but they do have the education and it does help me in answering some questions and giving me some new ideas at times.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• So are you saying professionals are bad? Or are you being rhetorical?

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You don't have to be a parent to understand a great deal about brain development, social emotional health or how to develop and maintain healthy relationships.

Parents should solicit the advise of as many people as possible so they can make an informed decision.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't think almost anyone does that on its own. I'm sure pretty much everyone who does that probably asks other parents, etc. as well. It's all about getting a range of information, and then making a decision.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 10:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm not a fan of "prof advice" and can't stand "parenting experts!" But I think there are times when a professional is a good thing. For example, my oldest has an anxiety issue, as a result he quit talking at 16mo old. Had it not been for his speech therapy I don't know that we could have dealt with his anxiety issue the way we have been able to or that his life would be as good as it is able to be now. Although I do tend to believe that people depend on the advice of "professionals" way to much! This idea that parents need someone else to tell them how to care for their kids is dumb! Parenting takes 2 things - common sense and love... However that also assumes the parents have common sense in the first place or that they have enough sense to know when they need to get additional help as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I seek advice from the 8 ball. j/k
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Didn't notice. My dh's friend is reluctant to take his son for an evaluation. He is stay-at-home dad and he was a substitute teacher. I don't know why he would say these things. Sorry I misguided everyone. I forgot to re-check! LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2011