6 year old throws up when he tastes new foods

Seriously, I'm not joking... it wont get past his lips most of the time, unless its a sweet and he knows that before hand (I can't tell him it's sweet if it's not cause he'll still throw up). he's been doing this since he was 2 and his meals consist of peanut butter/honey or jelly sandwiches, chicken (strips or nuggets, sometimes baked), fries, basically any bread, I finally got him eating turkey and bologna sandwiches and hotdogs, but that basically rounds out his meals. oh and cereal, but that's a sweet in my opinion. anything outside of those, if it passes his lips, he gags and throws up. I give him vitamins so he's healthy, but it's nerve racking! we even took him to a therapist but that got too expensive for him to play for 45 mins and talk about food for 15 and we got no where after 8 visits! anyone else ever dealt with this? Any advice!? Thanks!
~Angie

ModernHera

Asked by ModernHera at 10:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Have you talked with your ped. to find out if it's a sensory thing or a behavior thing? If it's a behavior thing he could have learned to puke on call if he thinks something is yucky and there is no excuse for it. My daughter was a picky eater. I got tired of fixing special meals and begging her to eat so I made one meal for everyone and if she didn't eat, she went hungry. Tough love if it's just a behavior thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I agree with the pp. If it's a behavior thing I would work on a fun way to try new things with a reward system.
    If it's a sensory thing, which it might be... he probably needs some kind of therapy. Talk to your pediatrician, find a new therapist. My husband has a cousin that had a sensory problem with foods, with him it was texture and had to have all things smooth kind of like baby food until he learned to eat other things... chips and things like that would make him throw up. So it might be a similar type problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I had a very similar situation when my son was little. Unfortunately his bd was around just enough that he could tell us that he couldn't adopt him. He has never been around enough to be considered a real father to him though. Just a jerk that comes around if he has nothing better to do and pay child support about 1 out of every 3 times he owes it. My husband has been the only real father he has ever known. I still think he would have been happier if my husband had adopted him. I think if your husband doesn't he will always feel like the outsider because, you and your other son are gonna have your SO last name. That means more then you realize to a kid.

Love,
    Michelle
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 2:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think the kid is playing you. Please just try this for a few days 3 at the max and see if it doesn't change. If it doesn't, I digress and will accept I am wrong. Fix for your child what everyone else is eating. None of the sweet junk food crap. Don't give in period. If he throws up, just say oh well, and leave it at that. Just tell him he can try again later or when he is ready. When he gets hungry, he will eat. This kid knows how to push your buttons. Maybe try this during Christmas break or something so he will be home for all meals. He is not going to starve to death.
    Anonymous