Is it just me but there seem to be more and more people getting inductions.

What is going on that everyone seems to be getting induced for their pregnancy? outside of emergencies or such it seems like another medical intervention that is being accepted as norm.

Camilletnt

Asked by Camilletnt at 10:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Wow. I can see where the problems lie.
    Many women will 'believe' they have to follow those SUGGESTIONS and will go with them.

Your not progressing.
    Your cervix isn't dilating fast enough.
    You need antibiotics.
    Baby is too big.
    Your hips are too small.
    You are past X date.
    Your water broke we need to push it.
    Baby's heart rate blah-blah...
    We ARE going to do This or That...

Women are hearing all sorts of Reasons, I see more everyday.
    Near NOTHING is left within Normal anymore.
    :-(

I always try to remind the mamas to remember:
    Who we hire for our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.

How do women know they are getting ALL the information, risks-benefits, alternatives, and options for Informed Consent?
    How do we *know* ?

You can learn about your Rights, have a birth plan, a birth doula, and stay home as long as possible...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Inductions are on the rise, and sharply, because they are convenient for doctors and mothers, and because they look good to malpractice insurers. The standard right now is the more interventions you do, the less liable you are. We are ignoring that they increase a lot of risks for moms and babies, though.

It upsets me a great deal, but American women seem to blindly trust their doctors and there's not much you can do about it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I had to because I had gestational diabetes. i don't know of anyone else around me who had to be induced though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You are 100% right!!
    Most women have their labor intervened with (sped up, augmented for no medical reason; practitioner convenience).

And it's no coincidence that the cesarean rate is now 33% either.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It is NOT just you! Our induction and c section rate is spiralling out of control!

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My sister in law got induced with their 4th child for convenience. I don't like the idea, but that's just me...
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i had to be induced due to high blood presure and my dd was born 2weeks earlyer, i was also haveing other complications at the time i was put on bed rest by 26weeks and at 24wks they told me i could deliver at anytime i was 1cm almst 2 dialted and 50 to 75% affaced!!! Scarey for a first time mom..inductions like ati13 said is on the rise just like c sections..when i was enduced it wasnt fun and very painful if i can avoid it with this one i will!! im hopeing no problems this time so far my goal is being achieveved
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• you are correct. some people just like a "plan" and others have a medical reason for it.. They told me DD was going to be tiny and that they couldn't leave her any longer, they induced me a week early.. 6.5lbs and a PO'ed momma later I was added to the unnecessary induction category
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's not just you.
    America woman are very misinformed and ignorant when it comes to the birth and how their bodies work. Plus Dr's take advantage of the woman when she hits those last few weeks and wants the baby out because of how uncomfortable it is just because it is more convenient for them.
    I visit another forum and the majority of woman are young and they are all either being induced or TRYING to induce their labors themselves because they just want the baby out. It's really sad.
    Anonymous

• So induced could mean, seperating membranes and breaking your water? That was done to me 2 days before my EDD> everything was fine, what are the risks?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 12:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011