Need some pointers

I am having my first ever yard sale today. I have alot to sell such as clothes of all sizes from my 3 boys ages2-7. I have baby things and toys decortive things etc. I also have a green leather couch coffee table and a big screen tv. Any pointers to be successful?

sunsetbeach81

Asked by sunsetbeach81 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Don't let them haggle you to death. And believe, they will try. Something you have for $1, they will try to pay 10 cents. Be firm but fair in your pricing. Keep like items grouped together. Sell some bottled water for .50 or $1 if it is hot, maybe juice boxes for kids. Good luck and have some fun!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Be prepared for people to talk down the price. We had a sale and every single item went for less than what we asked. It was fine, we still made money, but be ready for it. If you ask $5, people will offer $3. If you ask $.50 people will offer $.30.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• OH!!! We also had the kids have a Lemonade stand at the same time. It was great. It attracted people, who could turn down cute kids!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Open early and start deep discounting in the late afternoon.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• write dates on your signs! "sat & sun" isnt enough - use numbers! i hate following signs around town that lead me to a sale that was last weekend.

keep things tidy and clean. i wont stop at a sale if things are disorganized and nasty looking. keep plenty of small change on hand!

and advertise on craigslist. its free, and there is a smartphone app that people use that links craigslist ads to their phones gps, so garage salers who may not normally find your place, can see it online/on their phones.

good luck!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 8:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Put see thru plastic on couch.and keep small valuables close to you.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Price to sell and don't haggle.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Price things at a price you would be willing to pay. Haggle if you want, but If you do not want to come down on a price, write "firm" on the price tag. Keep your money with you at all times, and it's better if you have someone to help you. Don't let anyone in your house even to try on clothes or use the bathroom. Keep your doors locked and the key in your pocket. Keep a cordless or cell phone with you(whichever people are likely to call you on).
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• dont come down on price too much
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011