What do you think of this statment?

"Not Being Allowed to Dominate Others Doesn’t Mean You’re Being Oppressed"

This statement was made in response to an argument against same sex marriage which said that allowing same sex marriage is a legal excuse to oppress Christians... I like it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• How is allowing same sex marriage oppressing Christians? I'm throughly confused by that one, especially since I am a Christian. It's not like heterosexual marriage is being outlawed.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think nothing.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I like it.

I think there's a notion among a small group of Christians that allowing other groups to have a voice is equal to oppression of their religion. They think that by not being allowed to dominate--by having a prayer to their god said in public schools, for example--their "rights" are being taken away. They see the Establishment Clause as pertaining to all other beliefs, but somehow feel that theirs is above all others and therefore should be "the way" of all Americans. They might entertain the thought of letting other people worship (or not) as they see fit, but in reality, they do not want any other philosophy to be recognized as in any way equally valid.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think you're reading the quote out of context as an excuse to justify your hatred against either the person, or her support for same sex marriage.
    It means that your rights, or the rights of Christians, are not being taken away and they do not face oppression because others, such as homosexuals are being given equal rights, which are no longer dictated by the religion of others.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Unless I misunderstand, Kristi, I think the OP likes the quote, and sees the ridiculousness of the cry of oppression when another group demands equal rights.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's not logical. It's twisted
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yeah I've reread it and I was not reading it right. I haven't had my coffee this morning. Yes, I would agree, just becasue they (Christians in reference to the quote) cannot dictate the lives of others, or that others are receiving equal rights, does not mean they(again Christians in reference to the quote) are being oppressed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Oh, I agree with it - it's not oppressing Christians to expect us to allow others to live as they please. Not letting us force our beliefs or opinions on others (whatever they may be, since not all of us believe homosexuality is bad) isn't limiting our freedoms or rights. And it's ridiculous to claim that it is.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i like it. i mean were whites oppressed when blacks finally got rights? were men oppressed when women finally got rights? no & no. just b/c Christians who are against SSM are slowly having to *gasp* live in a country that allows something they dont agree with (which is their right) does NOT equal oppression.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011