Travelling with a 4 year old, twin 2 year olds and a 11 month old baby....airport, carseats/booster seats, umbrella strollers......

Here's the dilema....

My kids and I will be flying to Maine for my brother's wedding. We don't want to rent car seats in Maine for 6 days because it would be OUTRAGEOUS.
DD is in a booster seat and i think we could shove that in a suitcase along with clothes and such, but my twins who are 2 1/2 are still in car seats. They are just over 3ft, and 30lbs....so they're tall and skinny. Do you think it would be ok just to buy them booster seats on this end and carry them on or put them in our luggage?
Safety wise, would they be ok? I've heard it's 40lbs, but they are basically too tall for their car seats now.
Then there's the baby.....do airlines let you carry on a car seat AND an umbrella stroller? We want to take umbrella strollers through the airport, but we also need their car seats and don't want to pay extra for checking them in as luggage..

Ideas anyone? I need help figuring this one out! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Travel

• DO NOT put 2 1/2 year olds in booster, it is illegal in EVERY state

gate check their car seats
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You can take the carseats on the airplane and your 11 month old can ride in your lap. And you can take a stroller all the way up to the gate then they will take it down and put it under then when you land they will bring up your stroller before you get off so you will have it right away
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 12:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Don't gate check the car seats because then you have to carry them through the airport. Check them with your luggage. Gate check the stroller. Do you have a double stroller? It might be easier if you can put the twins in the stroller and wear the baby in the airport. Call the airport. Find out if they charge to check the seats. I remember them not charging to check our carseat, but I could be wrong. Don't carry on a car seat, too much to deal with. What a pain!!! How far do you live from Maine? Are you doing this all alone? Good luck!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• NEVER check a car seat! Think of how bad your luggage looks, do you want the thing that protects your child in an accident to go through that!?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You are going by yourself with 4 small children? I would take a double stroller like someone else suggested and gate check it, but I can't see how you are going to lug all those car seats along. Plus you and all the kids and their stuff have to go through airport security. When my kids were little, even infants they made us take them out of their carriers/strollers and demanded that we take off our shoes while we were trying to hang onto our babies and fold the strollers up to put them through the x-ray machines. It was AWFUL! And that was with two adults and only two kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Check your carseats when you check your luggage. Make sure to ask for plastic bags, so they don't get yucky. Our carseat came in a bag, so that is what we put ours in. It is free to check those.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Car seats should never be checked in as luggage for a number of reasons.

First of all, it could be lost and/or broken in transit. Having worked for the airlines, I know how they treat bags. It's especially a risk with your flight since you have a connection.

A car seat is probably your child's most important piece of safety equipment. It is only designed to withstand ONE accident. After that, it has to be replaced. Damage in transit could equate that one accident. You'll hear parents say "I checked my seat and it was FINE" but honestly, there could be damage to their seat that is not readily visible and they wouldn't know it unless they were in an accident and their seat didn't "perform" as it should have. Lets hope they never find that out!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090523181424AACJmRN
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know where my head is, but I was still thinking about this before I checked back and I didn't even think to just take the seats on the plan with us so they can sit in them. All but the baby have paid for seats.
    Oh, and forgot to even mention the fact that my parents will be flying with us and helping us. They have a flight to get to us from CA and we'll fly from IL to Maine!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• They don't let you sit in any car seat on the plane. They have to be made for the plane. I still think you should check them. How will you carry them to the plane?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• You can also check their seats free of charge at all airlines. You can also carry them on to the plane. I have taken many a regular car seats on the plane. Usually 3 a trip and make about 8 trips a year or so.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2011