If your child was going into the gifted classes at their school would you tell other parents?

I've only told family and close friends now. Although I am proud of my daughter I can't even ask any of the other parents if their kid is going into the GATE program. I thought one of my daughter's friends would be in it as well but when I asked her mom about it she said no. She them asked me if my daughter was in the fall program and when I said yes the look on her face was a mixture of envy/jealousy/annoyance. lol Yikes huh.

istealcookies

Asked by istealcookies at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in

• I wouldnt mention it. Moms can be jealous and snotty about that kind of thing. I was skipped a grade when I was a kid. I could read before Kindergarten so when I was in First grade, they decided to skip me ahead to second grade. I didn't want to---I wanted to stay with my friends---but My MOM agreed to it. SO...after that other Moms and their kids gave my Mom and I a hard time with comments like:
    "WHat makes YOUr daughter so special...MY daughter is smarter than yours but they didn't skip her" etc. It was tough. Kids were rude too. DON"T let them know. Being skipped is obvious---they knew without being told! LOL. People can be so cruel.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son is gifted. I try not to brag and I'm not snotty about it but I am proud. If people can't understand that, that's their problem.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I wouldn't go around bragging and boasting about it...but I wouldn't hide it either. You deserve to be proud of your daughter!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I could see how it could be miscontrued that way so I was just going to ask her best friends because they've been in the same class since kinder. I'm glad I didn't because there's only three other boys in her class that got in. I just hope it doesn't affect their friendships.
    istealcookies

Comment by istealcookies (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No, I would not go around telling other people at all. Most people take it the wrong way when you do that kind of stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't go around telling people, but if it comes up in conversation I don't hide it either. I don't ask if other kids are in though, ever. I volunteer in the school and have seen the kids coming/going from their classes to/from the AG room, so I know which kids are in - and my kids know, they are all very aware of which kids are in/not in.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My son is in our version of the Gifted program and when I first got the news and his test results I was all over the place bragging about it. Now that it's been a couple months and school is out I'm talking about it less and less, but I'm still over the moon about it FOR him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Absolutely you want to be proud that your child is doing well and that you had a hand in it. But not other people's reactions are favorable. We should have a group on here to just talk about our kids in the gifted classes. It's always good to have people in the same boat and trying to do what's best for your kids.
    istealcookies

Comment by istealcookies (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• hun she aint no gf of ur's if she is that way. from the time we give birth there starts this war w other mom and families and their kids with what little Ana does and how little jimmy learned to walk early on and on. we see china's children doing so well in our school or as country and we wanna push and push our kids. i hate this. it just suxs. my gurls are little lights and are good at different things. you have no idea how i wish the rest of the world thought this way to. no instead my 7 years old gets looked up and down by some woman in her 40's cause she aint wearing 170.00 shoes or her socks dont match. you should be pride of ur baby! if ur gf ain't than move on. others will love her too!
    dancingthrulife

Answer by dancingthrulife at 11:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• I would not brag but be honest
    Is katie(your dd) and Julie in the same class this year?
    No Katie has Miss smith and Julie has Miss Jones
    I am sure most parents know who the teachers are by name
    congrats on your DD accomplishment
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2011