I'm SAHM and DH has been recently laid off.....should he help out now?

Should I expect him to help me around the house now that he's not working? I believe that anyone who doesnt have a job needs to contribute to the household, my husband kind of feels that since he's been working 2 jobs for umpteen years he should be able to rest and relax now that he's been laid off. We were able to come to an agreement and he promised that he would help out more but I was wondering what other mommies thought....now that he's home should I expect him to help with household chores and getting the kiddies ready for the day or should he be able to rest and enjoy his brief time of not having to work?

I'm actually on disability (bipolar disorder) so although money will be tight we'll be okay....just thought I should drop that in there lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• We are in the same situation. Dh's unemployment will be enough to get us through.

He says he will help, but it doesn't amount to much. But I expect him to help around the house too. He is home, he can help.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• For now he is a SAHD. He needs to help out around the house. If he wont help in the house make him do the yard work. Even on my DH's days off, if he bugs me to much, I start ordering him around the house to do this and that.

Answer by louise2 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes he should help! My husband helps out after he gets off work at night, and he helps out when he's off work for a day here or there. I can't imagine him not helping!

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Why can't he help part time and relax part time?? Good luck mama!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I agree he should help out. Just remember how some men can be, they will not volunteer to do laundry, dishes, vacuum, dust, sweep, etc. They have to be asked repeatedly!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Give him a week of "RELAX TIME" then yes, he's home now, it's time to be your partner in those area he isn't used to helping with.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Absolutely he can help!! You can get twice as much done in a day, or the same, twice as fast! And you'll have tons of time left over so you both can relax, together!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• he can ABSOLUTELY help you out! there's NO REASON NOT TO unless he was on disability leave for something that inhibits him from being able to do anything but sit down.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• He should have been helping out all along. I work two jobs (approx. 80 hours a week), husband is a SAHD and when I get home from my 12-hour shift, I put in four more hours with kids and chores. I get one hour to myself every day, max, and so does he. That's how it should be, everyone working together all the time.
    Anonymous

• He should help out
    MizzMejia

Answer by MizzMejia at 1:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2011