Did the movie Moozlum change your opinion of Muslims, especially African American Muslims and was the movie necessary?

I saw the movie Moozlum, but the spelling of Muslim annoyed me. I guess it speaks to how the word is mispronounced. This was the first time I have seen anything about African American Muslims. Little Masjid series I found to mock Islam. I believe the gentlemen did a good job doing the movie and promoting it. But, I just wonder how people feel about Muslims now. I know this is one man's journey. At UC San Diego, the African American Muslims had a support system and they were very successful. They were active with us, but had a place for prayers and practiced openly.

Lastly, I wonder why Muslim actors were not used? There are many Muslims that are into the Arts. But, then again, Nia Long and Danny Glover are drawing cards.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hadn't heard of it until now.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Never heard of the movie until now.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've never heard of it. I need to look it up.
    sarenaerin

Answer by sarenaerin at 11:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• As a Muslim I have somewhat conflicting feelings about it. One one hand I don't think that the Movie gives a very good image to Muslim men at the beginning and never completely resolves this so the normal non-muslim viewer will probably walk away from it thinking this is common of Muslim men. It has many other issues that make me dislike it. However, I like that it shows some of the trials that Muslim-Americans have had to go through especially after 9/11. I think more movies need to be made showing the Muslim experience in America I just don't think this was the best one. I think that shows like Little Mosque on the Prairie (Canadian show) gives a much better more easy to relate to the average non-muslim. Although I think this does have some goo qualities in that it does show what many of us have had to endure post 9/11.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2011