Carseat latch system and carseats

do you have to use the latch system with car seats? I assume it's the safest but my car does not even have an option to install the system in it. We tried and they just screwed a latch on the top of the back seat (looks horrible) and said there is no latching system available or made for an oldsmobile and won't be either! I'm worried about when I convert the carseat to a booted seat there won't be anything holding the carseat to the car! Does it work to only use a seatbelt with the booster cuz I have no money for a new car.

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am a car seat technician and I would suggest you go to your fire department for help.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Booster seats just use a belt :) I've never seen a way to "anchor" them in with a booster :) You'll be fine.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We have the latch system in our vehicle but I assume that the seat belt would work just as well....it is just a bit easier to use the latch because all you have to do is latch it and tighten.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I've never owned a car with LATCH and our carseats work just fine. They are made to work with the system and with the seatbelts. We have 2 different boosters. One has harness straps (for our 5yo) and it's secured with the seatbelt in the back (like a convertible carseat) and the anchor that goes up over the back of the seat. She's secured with the harness straps. The other boosters are backless ones and they just sit on the seat and the seatbelt goes over the kid and the booster. The car's seatbelt holds the booster seat AND the child at the same time. I've never secured the booster to the car separate from that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You do not need to use the LATCH system. It is there for convenience. It is no safer then using the seat belt, as long as the seat is installed and used properly. Older cars do not have LATCH, some older cars don't have the lower anchors, but DO have the top tethers, and it is recommended to use the top tethers in the FF position, if you have them. I've heard of people having them retrofitted by the dealer (the top tethers) at no charge, but have not been able to find anyone around here who knows how to do this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Oh, and when it IS time for a booster, you just use the seat belt. I don't think boosters even come equipped with LATCH straps, unless they are combination FF and booster seats. I am assuming your car is a bit older, because as far as I know ALL new cars are equipped with LATCH system.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• LATCH is made to be easy. There is no difference in safety when the carseat is installed correctly. The only thing that makes LATCH safer is the fact that many people do not install their children's carseats correctly with the seat belts. So just make sure you do it right, following the directions, are you're just fine.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• IMMEDIATELY make an appointment with a car seat inspector. You can call your local police department -- ususally they have a certified person. Take your car, your seat AND your kid and get a 30 minute check. THIS FREE VISIT COULD SAVE YOUR CHILD's LIFE!!!!! DO YOU KNOW THAT OVER 50% of seats are improperly installed or used incorrectly? Do NOT delay!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011