Which kitten first?

My husband and I just recently got two kittens and when we get paid tomorrow we will be taking one of them to the vet to start kitten shots and deworming and such. Its $99 for the package deal that includes the basic kitten shots deworming treatment and flea treatment. My problem is that I an only afford one kitten at a time. I just can't decide which one should go first. The other is going to have to wait until next month and be a bit late on getting the shots. Plus we have to consider getting them spayed is going to cost $55 each. We didn't even really plan on getting two kittens, one of them was given to us after we had gotten the cat we wanted. I am beginning to wonder if we can't afford to keep both.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pets

• I think as long as you don't wait too long, the month you wait will be fine. Once the shots and spays are done its really not much more money to have 2 than it is to have 1.. we added a 3rd in Oct and for some reason it felt like we added 5 more on top of it lolO!~ stay with 2.. you will be fine
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• After the initial costs, kittens really aren't expensive. It doesn't matter which you do first. Are they old enough to be spayed yet? I would do that first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• if you do ANYTHING get those kittens fixed, dont' delay on that. As far as shots, you can do them seperate
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• They are to young to be spayed right now. They won't be old enough for the surgery until September.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• also if you are worried about the shots the most, keep them as indoor cats and you can worry less about waiting
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm not a fan of shots, long story, but for those that choose to do them they can actually be done yourself for very little cost. The only one you ever have to worry about is the rabies and only if your pet bites someone, then it has to be on record with a vet. You can order them from jeffers.com. I have a small farm and take care of most of my own veterinary things. I have a cat right now that has an upper respiratory infection. It cost me less than $13 for the medication which can also be used for the other animals when she is done.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think as long as you don't wait too long, the month you wait will be fine. Once the shots and spays are done its really not much more money to have 2 than it is to have 1; also if you are worried about the shots the most, keep them as indoor cats and you can worry less about waiting
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2011