How do you cure your kids' "Mom, I'm bored" summer syndrome?

I   f o u n d   a   g r e a t   c u r e   f o r   m y   t e e n s .

We (yes I made them participate from the start) made a list of all the cleaning and organizing chores we could think of, for every room in the house, the garage, and the yard. We broke the chores into smaller tasks that each take 1-2 hours to complete, and assigned who will work on each of  them. I set a minimum of 5 per week.

sweeping

Yes, they complained at first, but now they are happy with the tidiness of their rooms, and seem to feel a little satisfaction in what they've helped accomplish. And now they know, if they look to me to cure their bordom, I have a list of "cures" to draw from.

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 1:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is a great idea! I use my mom's method and it works great too. Anyone that utters the words, "I'm bored" has to scrub the entire bathroom with a toothbrush. It only happened one time in my family when I was a kid, and now just the legend of my sister having to scrub the bathroom with the toothbrush works in my house too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Before opening this, I was going to say chores.. my mom had a list we had to do before we could do anything else.. i never complained of being bored.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I just break out the bucket of water and sponges and point them to the dirty walls. They're dirty because of the kids grimy little fingers so they get to wash them. There's always floors that need to be scrubbed, a bathroom that needs cleaning, yard work to do. They get unbored real quick.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I remember those days when I said that. If I could go back I would gladly always have something to do. But, I almost think it's a given with a child. I would say it will pass.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Way to go mom! When I read the question before your description I was going to suggest the same thing!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My kids are little so chores don't really work quite that well yet (4 1/2 and newly 3). It would be more of Mom making sure they were doing it right because they weren't sure than anything. So to cure the boredom blues I made a "summer school" based on their interests with weekly trips and projects to do. Like this week was arts and crafts so today we painted with food coloring ice cubes (that are ultimately realllly cold water colors lol).
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 2:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yep, I have a chore jar. Unfortunately, I don't get to hear it very often though. Lol
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I usually respond with, "you can always clean" or I will say "find something to do or I will find something for you and it won't be as fun."

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I started this when school let out. My DSs don't tell me that they are bored any more. LOL
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011