For older mom's/women. Do you ask for relatives' christmas lists to shop from?

And then not buy from it? I have a MIL and a SIL that ask for my kids' christmas lists every year, and then don't buy a damn thing on the list. Is this just a mind game or control, or payback or what? The gift requests are not expensive, nothing on the list this year is over $30.00. Most items are around $20.00.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Holidays

• My MIL is crazy, she doesn't even see our children more than twice a year (besides Christmas) and then buys them crazy off the wall stuff that they will never use or play with. She doesn't even bother to ask what size they are in, or what they are interested in. Unfortunately, she does this on purpose, maybe to hurt me, or my husband, but we just ignore it.
    I think that it is rather strange to ask for a list and then not buy anything remotely close to it. All of our relatives (my in-laws excluded) ask for my kids "list" and then either buy something from it, or buy something similar. If they buy something from it, the always let us know so that we don't buy the same things.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I ask for a list and may or may not buy from it. If I see something that I think would suit the person well then I'll probably get it. My DIL, for example, wants something for an Ipod. I don't want to shop for something like that, so I'll get her some small gifts that I think she'll like and so that she'll have some presents to open, but for the Ipod stuff I'll give her cash.

Answer by Bmat at 12:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My MIL always gets us great stuff! She does request a list from us, but she does not always get things on the list...that way it's a suprise!

One thing I don't like is when me and my two sister in-laws all get the same thing like 3 of the same necklaces. I think its nice to personalize things more , but I understand why she does it because that way there is no anamosity!
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 3:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My mom and sisters ask what my boys would like or need then they just write it down LOL. I make sure its stuff we arent going to get them or that we havent gotten already,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2008