Am I like the only mother with separation anxiety from my child?

Im a stay at home mom and me and my 23 month old son are very close. I am having a huge problem getting him back into his crib instead of being in bed with daddy and I. Everything was going great until he got very sick and I put him back in bed with us cause of how sever things were. Now Im having to start all over again with the seperation anxiety. Its very hard for both of us but I know he needs to be in his own bed cause it is very uncomfortable with all of us in the bed togeather. Any advice as to how to make this a smooth transaction? I know hes going to scream his head off the first few nights but I have a baby monitor in the room so I can hear every little thing.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No you are not the only one. I also have a 23 month old that I stay at home with and have major seperation anxiety. When she isnt sleeping in bed with me, she is in her crib right up against my side of the bed. The first time she had ever left my sight was about 3 months ago and it was to stay with her grandmother for 3 hours and I hated every second of it. I just didnt feel right not having her right there with me. I have left her 4 times since then, each for about 3-4 hours, but only with grandparents and it is till hard but getting a little easier. I am still at no point close to going back to work though, theres no way I could be away from her 8 hours a day and for once a week even I wouldnt leave her, shes like my best little friend..LOL
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thanks so much for sharing..... you sound so much like me lol. I have only left my son a total of maybe 6 times since he was born and I called his grandparents every hr. to check oh him. Im not going back to work either. My husband wants me to stay at home and I love it any way, plus were trying for another baby. Im already sad thinking about my baby going to school and leaving me all day. lol
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Aw! LOL Go easy on yourself! You are NOT the only Mommy who feels this way! All of us have felt this way at one time or another... some of us more than others. I was a SAHM with my 1st until he was around 3 1/2. I didn't leave him w/ ANYONE until he was almost 5 months old. When I finally did, I thought I was going to have a panic attack! It's good for them to get out and be away from us sometimes, just like it's good for us to be away from them a little. I think it probably bothers us more than it bothers the kids, though!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My son will be 2 in march and my husband keeps naging me about getting a job but I just cant stadn the thought of leaving him in a day care!! Ive worked in daycares and sometimes they arent that nice and they can neglect a child is he/she isnt a 'favorite'. Not saying that ALL daycares are like that, but it really made me think. I even have the worst time when I leave him with my mom. I call like every hour! haha. Ur not alone. Now that my hubby is deployed Ive been letting him sleep with me..oops. Now he hates his crib. Its just a mother thing I think!
    Sweetiemama717

Answer by Sweetiemama717 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am the same way, my son is 28 months also, and he has only stayed over night with my mom, but he was 9 months old the first time. My aunt watches him sometimes, but only at my house. He slept with my up until a month ago, when I finally got him a toddler, bed and he is sleeping in his own bed, in his own room...and believe me this is still worrying me...sometimes I sleep on the floor beside his bed at night :)
    Jen_Norvell

Answer by Jen_Norvell at 1:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2008