Pregnant after having tubes tied?

I joined because I am curious about my mom. She went to the health dept. for her yearly check-up the other day and they told her that her uterus is the size of a three-month pregnant woman. She had her tubes tied during her c-section with my youngest sister 3 years ago. She has also gained 9 pounds since March (3 months) and this is unusual for her. The only thing I don't understand is that she has had her period every month as normal. So the doctors are sending her for an ultra-sound for either a baby or fibroids. She doesn't have any symptoms of fibroids though so I am cofused. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

CuriousGirl607

Asked by CuriousGirl607 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It can happen, but not likely. I've had my tubes tied and no thanks...hahaha
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think it's a lot more likely that she has a fibroid than a pregnancy- they can be relatively asymptomatic. If she's had a tubal ligation and is having periods it's not too likely to be pregnant. However, she could always take a home pregnancy test to check if she doesn't want to wait for the ultrasound.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There is a ligament that runs near the tube. Sometimes the doctor ties that instead of the tube. This especially happens when a woman get her tubed tied during a c-section delivery. They are in the same area and look the same. I was told this years ago during a presentation about birth control methods.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We are actually hoping for it to be a baby. I have a feeling that it isn't but the weight gain and everything just seems odd to me. We have people in this town that have had children after getting their tubes tied and also some that had their periods up until they were eight months pregnant
    CuriousGirl607

Comment by CuriousGirl607 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's possible.
    But that's why I didn't have my tubes tied. I had them cut, the ends burned, then sent out to a lab to verify they were my tubes.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Its always a possibility that she could be pregnant. Its rare but still common for a woman to get her tubes tied and they heal back together. Its the same when a man gets a vasectomy, they can always grow back together.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thanks you all! The only thing that I don't understand is the periods. They are normal like usual, but I'm not sure which it could be.
    CuriousGirl607

Comment by CuriousGirl607 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Anymore ideas or thoughts?
    CuriousGirl607

Comment by CuriousGirl607 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011