Over medicated?

I have been giving my son the right amount of tylenol for his wieght for a day and a half because of fevers, every four hours like it says... But the bottle says no more then 5 times a day and I have not read that until now... I feel sick because I think I may be overmedicating so now Im going to try harder and use motrin too... The doc said not to worry he should be fine but what do you think am I a bad mom?

DylanJoe

Asked by DylanJoe at 9:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are absolutely NOT a bad mom. Your are a human mom. Which works out great cause otherwise you'd be an alien.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I would not call you a bad mom but I would say be more cautious when giving your little one medicine. Make sure that you read all of the instructions and if they are unclear call your local hospital ER to get any questions you may have answered. As a mom I can tell you it is safe to rotate tylenol and motrin every four hours. So you can give the little one a dose of tylenol and then four hours later give the tot a dose of motrin. Good luck and don't feel bad, my fiancee once gave my daughter the medicine that was supposed to go to the cats. Because they were both penicillan and the same dose everything was fine but it taught me a valuable lesson always leave instructions for him on meds because he did not always read the instructions!!!!! Good luck!
    Psywolf1995

Answer by Psywolf1995 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• your not a bad mom...everyone makes mistakes....
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 10:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• A mistake does not make you a bad mom. You are being way to hard on yourself. None of us are perfect!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Things like this happen, we worry and feel bad for our kids so we try to make them feel better!!! In no way are you a bad mom at least you cared enough to try and make your chidl feel better. If y ou're doctor said not to stress then don't worry about it just cut back on the tylenol for right now
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:29 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• i wouldnt worry about it. they hav otc amounts for tylenol and then they have rx amounts, which are much higher, but i do agree with doing motrin and tylenol, it will help with the fevers, just gotta remember to stack it, so that u arent giving him both at the same time. and ur dr said not to worry so dont. if u wanna feel better u could alwyas just thinkabout my mom, who would give us meds every night so that we would fall asleep faster! lol
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Why bad mom? Really lighten up. I am certain since the doctor assured you he would be fine your next thought should not turn this into a slam on your parenting. We al do the very best we can and some times you may have to except your not perfect. Relax a little and enjoy all the great things you do and try not to focus in little boo boo's they are gonna happen....alot.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• of course you are not a bad mom. honey, you did what you should have done. try alternating motrin and tylenol every 4 hours. and worry not. my mom let me go to bed wiht a snake bite on the ankle. didn't notice unitl the next day and my ankle was black. i'm still here. every mom makes mistakes.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Don't worry your child will be fine...I hate to admit this, but when my now 25 year old dd was young I gave her some medicine that said not for under 6, she was about 2...it knocked her out for a couple of hours...but she was fine...not recommending that,just letting you know you are only human...we all are...we make mistakes...luckily our kids live through it!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2008