Should i tell her how ifeel , fight it , or pick my battles ? (see below)

THIS IS LONG BUT HERE GOES: i was raised w/ religion forced upon me.. i chooes not to raise my son in any particular relgion, i do in beilve there is a god but thats it.. well my mom and dad are stricly christain and they told me when my son comes over there he will be read the kids bible, told about jesus, and made to pray, ect.. i do not agree with this but it is her house, should i say something.. or deal with it, do i have a right to butt in or should i respect her rules in her home. i dont want to deny my son his only gramma cuz of this but i dont feel she is respceting me either adivce plz

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is the exact thing I'm worried about with my mom. She's a strict Christian and she's horrified that my boyfriend and I are agnostic and that we aren't going to raise our daughter as a Christian. We're going to let her decide for herself.

I've explicitly told my mother that if she tries to force the Bible on our daughter, she won't be allowed at her house. You're trying to raise your son a particular way, and your parents should respect that. There's nothing wrong with answering his questions about Jesus or being Christian...but they shouldn't try to "convert" him.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Her house, her rules, your choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Say something, he is YOUR son. They should respect that.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would say what I feel....maybe it is good for him to be exsposed to another religion..
    when he gets older he can choose for himself.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I don't think her telling him about things will hurt but I don't think he should be forced to read the bible or pray.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:38 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• For a christian to deny Christ and His teachings is sin, so for example...if they pray before a meal, but when your son is there they didn't pray because you didn't want them "forcing" religion on your son, that would be denying Christ for the sake of man's comfort zone. I think you have to respect her ways in her home. You can make the decision to not let your son be in her home of course. Our family considers "religion" man's laws of how to worship God and we adimately deny becoming religious. We believe in the moving of the Spirit, etc. so we don't really fit into man's "religion". Some people are taught so much religion that God gets no say so...maybe you were taught religion and not taught to have a relationship with God. They are a lot different and I would encourage you to seek that...the Bible and man's religion have proved to be a lot different from each other for me.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If they are forcing him to read a Bible and learn and say prayers at their house and you don't want him to learn those things yet then he just shouldn't be allowed at their house without your supervision. If she wants to see her grandchild she should have to go to your house where your rules apply and if she still tries to push it on him there pull the, "you aren't allowed to see him any more."
    I don't understand how some people can be so disrespectful. If my mother acted like that I wouldn't speak to her. My mil doesn't like the spiritual path we have chosen but she would NEVER attempt to by-pass that with our kids because it's not her place and it's just plain rude.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:47 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I would just sit down & talk to her about it. Yes, it is her home & I can undestand rules like "no eating in the living room" or "no running in the house".... but forced prayer & Bible study? That's crossing the line a little, in my opinion.

If it were me & couldn't get my point across to her, then I wouldn't allow my child at her home. YOU are his parent & regardless of their beliefs, they need to respect that and your decisions in raising him. If the tables were turned --- if when you were a child your grandparents forced you to study a non-Christian religion while in their home --- I'm sure your parents wouldn't have allowed that either.

G'luck to you!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• What they are wanting to do is indoctrinate your child. That is your choice NOT THEIRS. You can politely, but firmly tell them that what they are proposing to do is overstepping their bounds as grandparents. I would suggest that grandparent visits should be in your home until you feel that they can be trusted not to try and force their religion on your child.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 1:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• just be honest and ask them not to but if they so no then its your choice if they see him or not.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008