I tell people I follow Taoism Philsophy and Astrology when they ask my Religion. Then, my SO says I am Pagan. Are those Pagan?

I have noticed a lot of posts on Atheists and Pagans lately. Which reminds me of my boyfriend who says I have pagan beliefs. Before him, no one has ever used that term before. Any insight ladies?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 3:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• They fall under the umbrella of pagan, but whether or not you self-identify as Pagan is entirely up to you. A lot of things can technically be classified as pagan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Lol Taoism is not Paganism.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Both of those things can be incorporated into an individual's path, but aren't necessarily part of Paganism as a whole. Astrology is more of a practice not affiliated with any particular religion, and Taoism is a philosophy that *can be* religious (and pagan as in non-Abrahamic, but not really Pagan as in part of contemporary Paganism).
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Lol Taoism is not Paganism.

pagan isn't Paganism, either. That's the problem with words that have more than one meaning.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Most people consided and path pagan if it is not a mainstream judeo~christian or abrahamic faith. Does the label raelly change anything?
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I don't really like labels. I have been called Atheist before, pagan is new. I live in an town that could be called "Old Rich" close to Dallas, Texas and people ask all the time. I still get the "why aren't you christian talk?" often, but it doesn't bother me any. I still like what I like! I was just wondering if anyone could shine a light on the term "pagan" because the internet shows inconsistencies.
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "Most people consided and path pagan if it is not a mainstream judeo~christian or abrahamic faith. Does the label raelly change anything?"

In terms of communication, language and understanding, yes.

Many Pagans are trying to get beyond defining ourselves by what we are not, so to some people, it does matter.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was just wondering if anyone could shine a light on the term "pagan" because the internet shows inconsistencies.

It looks like this was closed out just before you posted it. The links in it will probably help you: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/897666/This_may_sound_stupid_but_could_someone_explain_to_me_what_a_Pagan_is?cat_id=&order=oldest

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes. they are FORMS OF Pagan. Most people hear Pagan and think New Age, Earth Based or Western Thinking. But in fact anything that's not Abrahamic does fall under the title of Pagan. I am far from an expert on Taoism, although I'm learning more, and Astrology is found in many paths, Pagan and non-Pagan. But yes, in the broad sense of the word they are Pagan Paths... They just aren't "New Age" Pagan or "Earth Based Pagan."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Really...it depends on who you ask...and how you ask, lol.

Alot of it depends on how people differentiate between (little-p) pagan (description meaning non-Abrahamic) and (big-p) Pagan (part of the New Religious Movement knows as Neo-Paganism, contemporary Paganism or just Paganism).

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2011