Do I dare ask what a heart murmur is?

It's possible my almost one year old might have a heart murmur because she's not gaining the weight she's supposed to (even though she does eat). Her doctor says she might have a heart murmur. Do I dare research this and find out what it is? I'm just afraid to find out.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/heartmurmur/hmurmur_what.html

Heres a link when you're ready.. Good luck!

--It may be okay though.. most are harmless! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• its really not a big issue or I have never heard of them causing alot of problems, its either an extra beat or a skip of a beat... My DH has the skip other than him feeling pressure after it skips its controllable w/ meds.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My little sister had one when she was 5 from drinking too much coffee. Yeah, you heard me right.....She wanted to be a "big kid" like us.... Her's was a skip of a beat, and it worked itself out without medication ( and a caffeine free diet for the next 10 years lol)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• i had a heart mummer when i was a kid i out grew it, my son had it when he was a baby and he outgrew it, he is 8 now. nothing too serious, its basicly and irregular heart beat. my mom has it also and she never out grew hers and has to be on verapmil for the rest of her life and was on it for close to 20 years. she cant have caffine, and when i had it and when my son had it we couldnt have caffine or too much suger, eat or drink anything that would speed up heart rate. and with exercise we were limited. i do remeber being in gym class when i was a kid and it felt like my heart was going to explode when i got done running, thts when we found out i had it. my son was diagnosed when we were playing outside and he had asthma attack like symptoms. i know it sounds scary but its not with proper medical attention. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• A heart murmur is a distinct and different heart sound or tone that is caused by an altered and at times restrictive blood flow pattern within the cardio-vascular system.Many things can cause heart murmurs. Heart murmurs can be either serious or benign. I'm sure your child will have follow-up tests and maybe an appt with a pediatric cardiologist (hrt specialist). Failure to gain weight is not uncommon, as your child is likely working hard to breathe and circulate blood, both of which expend energy and burn calories. GL

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have a heart murmur. It is no big deal. I had an EKG and it was normal. I was simply told there are good and bad murmurers . I do believe it is a slight leak in a valve. That's what they found with me.

justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have a heart murmur its nothing really major at all. But I've never heard of one causing a child not to gain weight, that sounds something to do with metabolism or thyroid. But then again I'm not a doctor just a clinical assiocate.
    Vivian0331

Answer by Vivian0331 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My DH has one, because he had Rheumatic fever when he was 6. Up until he went to our new doctor last week, none of the doctors he'd been to had ever mentioned it. Once the new one did, DH told him about when he was little. Dr. said it's harmless. Most usually are. Best wishes to you and your little one. Hope it all turns out ok.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Thanks everyone I feel better. It still sucks that she might have that but atleast I know.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I did think of one thing, you might want to think about, however. Because of DH's heart murmur, anytime he has dental work done, he has to be on antibiotics for a week before. Other than that, he never has any problems.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011