Dog doesn't travel well

We are going on vacation Saturday. Our Beagle does not travel well at all. He shakes and cried the whole time. Back in April, we made the same drive. It's about 12 hours. With stops it's going to be about 14-15 hours. I was scared for this poor dog. He is a year old, and I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack. His little heart was beating so very fast!!

We were in contact with our vet for the duration of the trip. He prescribed Valium.We started out giving Max 1/2 a pill, by the end of the trip, the vet had us giving him a whole pill every 2 hours. And he still wouldn't calm down.

Does anyone know of a way to help him through this?? Boarding him is not an option, my husband refuses, and I don't know of any good ones around where we live.

Thanks for any advice!!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Tell hubby to think about the stress the dog is under...........would he want to feel like that????
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• try taking him for smaller trips first, i know you dont have a ton of time till you leave, but even if he went to the store with you guys and someone held him and talked to him it might help to reassure him. awww, poor sweet baby! my mom has a beagle and we all just love him!! when we first got our Irish Setter, we went about 200 miles away to pick her up - of course she had never been in a car before, and she threw up the whole way home ( and was really scared, shivering etc) i felt so bad for her, so our vet recommended that we start taking her for very small trips, and to try to do it every day, and graduallly increase the time we were on the road. Well, at first she could only go a few miles, and within a month she had learned to throw up in the bucket we kept in the car for her - but gradually she got better and better, and within 6 months could go for a very long car ride with no problem at all. GOOD LUCK!!
    barrelracer1977

Answer by barrelracer1977 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• barrelracer1977, Thank You ! We do take him for rides quite often. He's fine on city streets, but for some reason, every time we get on the freeway, he starts. I've taken him on trips to see my husband at work because we get on the freeway, and still, a year later, he's not use to it. I'm at my wits end, and just don't know what to do to soothe my poor dog!!
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There are a few options. Obviously Saturday is too soon to get too much accomplished, but there are a couple things. Do you crate the dog or is it just sitting on a seat? (or floor) Crates with the dogs familiar toyz, bed or blanket help.Also don't immediately try to comfort it. Then it will realize that it gets mucho attention when it does this, so you might enver rectify the issue.
    What else.. Umm wear him out before you load up. If they are exhausted they are much more calm. Try to not get anxious yourself, as they sense that. Put it by the window with it rolled down (in the crate) . That worked for my dane that hated to travel. Umm other than that...not much else without having ample time. Sorry and good luck.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 4:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2011