This question may be lame but idc, i still wanna kno..lol

is it possible if i have a water birth but still can be able to get a epidural or any other pain medicine. i REALLY want to be able to relax in the water

kaydence111

Asked by kaydence111 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Good question, I don't have a clue lol but I don't see why not either.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• lol i dont see y not either..i hope so
    kaydence111

Comment by kaydence111 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You won't get an epidural with a water birth. And the point of it is to not need the meds. It's not a dumb question; no such thing!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• alot of times with epidural they do "ground you" to the bed and not allow for you to be up and moving, like to the tub and back and they usually at that time do a catherter because of that also... but I have never had a water birth so can't say for sure...but other pain meds for sure, through your iv. they will just help you in/out more carefully probably so your not falling and loopy. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I really want to relax NOW and I have 10 more weeks to go! LoL I don't know the answer to your question so I bumped ya! =) HOpefully you find out!
    Stefanie1130

Answer by Stefanie1130 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No. With medication or an epidural you have to be hooked up to the monitors, an IV, possibly a blood pressure cuff, and possibly a catheter. You can't have all that technology in the water.

Another reason I would imagine why they wouldn't allow is with narcotics you get really spaced out so being in a tub of water would not be safe. With the epidural you can't feel your legs or move around freely, so also not a good idea to be in water.

Not too many hospitals offer waterbirths anyway and the only place to have one would be a birth center or homebirth and neither one of those places offer medications for pain relief. But a waterbirth offers great pain relief to begin with so you really wouldn't need the meds.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I wonder if the water would allow germs into the insertion site where the epidural/spinal goes in? You wouldn't want that if that's the case...
    Also, I thought one of the reasons for a water birth was it's more relaxing than other ways, not to mention that the baby goes from amniotic fluid to water....
    Anonymous

• No, you would be risking infection at the catheter site. The water is supposed to ease the pain. Not to mention an IV is hooked up electric monitors.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I'm not sure where you're located, but I know here (in Louisiana), they have one birthing center in a hospital setting that has birthing tubs, and you're allowed whatever pain management technique you choose, or you can start natural, but if you change your mind in time, they can move you to a bed for birthing, and they have another one in a hospital setting that allows you to use a tub for laboring, but when it's time to birth the baby, you're in a traditional hospital bed. Basically as long as you're in a setting that allows for an epidural, and it's in the birth plan that you've discussed with your OB or midwife, you should be able to do both! Good luck! I'm going for a water birth myself!
    KaraokeMommy225

Answer by KaraokeMommy225 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011