Would it be recognizable?

From an answer in the "REAL Christian" question:

"I think we would be so far from the beliefs of the very early Church that they would not recognize us as Christians"

The poster was speaking hypothetically, about what would happen if people didn't follow certain basic rules. Is that really a hypothetical? If you could build a time machine and take a random sampling of different denominations from around the world and deposit them in Jerusalem, come as you are, 1950 years ago, would they be recognized as Christians? ALL of them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No they wouldn't all be recognized as christians...for various reasons.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well heck, they didn't identify all the Christians as Christians back then either!!

So no, I don't think most of them would be recognized as Christian.

...actually, I'm pretty sure they would be surprised to know we are still here.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• No, even then things were as they are now. People professing to be Christians that were not, Jewish that did not believe Jesus as the Messiah, people that denounced God and religion all together. So I think even then everything was divided.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Of course not all of them would be recognizable as Christians. Many are not recognized as true Christians now, although professing to be.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Probably not- and that's probably a good thing- society changes and so must religion- I believe that religion needs to reflect its times- as should pretty much anything-religion is a collection of morals, traditions and beliefs (among other things)- the core ideas of love and compassion are the same but how that looks in society changes as society changes-

The DOI has the words "all men are created equal" written when there was still slavery- slaves were not considered "people" (more like property) at that time- the idea of equality stands that test of time but how its practiced in society changes-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Early Roman Christians were convinced the end of times were coming very soon, so it was pretty common to give up all their wealth and property to the church since worldly possessions wouldn't be needed. Few modern day Christians take this vow of poverty besides some Catholic priests, nuns, and monks.

I would also think that the freedoms of Christian women could be a big shocker.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• "I think we would be so far from the beliefs of the very early Church that they would not recognize us as Christians"

Christianity continues to evolve into groups/demoniations/synods/etc....  I think there is some truth to this. But it isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think those possessing the spirit of Christianity, those who actually emulate Christ, may have been recognized. "They will know you by your love" comes to mind. I do believe that Jesus called us to a standard of living, a standard of love, that, when fully realized, is one that could be recognized regardless of what time period one maybe in.

Other than that, like in terms of doctrine/belief/practice, I'm not sure whether someone would be recognized as a Christian or not....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I think most "Christians" would not be recognized by early Christians .... "Christians" today don't really focus on things like the holiness of God, and their condemned state apart from Christ. PC Christianity has taken the place of Christian orthodoxy ... I do think some of them would be recognized as Christian (apart from the Bill & Ted moments that might experience), but not as many as one might expect.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I highly doubt it. Many "Christians" today make a mockery of God's Word when they twist it like a dishrag to make it conform to their lives. Back then God's Word was respected and revered as holy. Today...not so much.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011