If I was asked to claim weeks, does that mean I was approved for unemployment?

I applied for unemployment because I was laid off during summer months. I have never applied before so I don't know how it works.

I got a letter in the mail today asking me to claim weeks. Does this mean I was approved? I went online and claimed the weeks they asked for but it didn't tell me anything.

The letter also said that the first week is a waiting week and my first benefit payment will be for one week only. I took that to mean I will be getting a benefit payment.

Someone help me figure this out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• lol you goof yes you're approved. It said you will be receiving payment, they wouldnt pay you if you were denied. Have a nice weekend!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• not absolutely sure, they tell you that so you are in there for a check IF your approval goes through, I was actually faught over it from the employer and they stopped them after I got 1 all to restart them back, but all the while I had to claim like I was on it, cause they back paid me for the time when I was stopped due to the fight...

you claim in hopes it goes through. HTH by this time, you should be able to call and ask though.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• How would I be able to find out the amount they will be paying? IF they pay, of course.

What is HTH?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• HTH = Hope This Helps.

You should have gotten a letter stating the benefit amount. Here in CA, it will be about 50% of your previous weekly earnings, with a maximum rate of $450/week.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• And your EDD will have an online chart showing benefit amounts. Again using the CA example, they go back 18 months, and calculate from the quarter when you had your highest earnings.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If I call and ask, they will tell me if I was approved?

Sorry, I am so new to this and have no idea what I am doing and I don't want to screw it up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• EDD?

Sorry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You are approved I recieved unemployment and I have to either certifiy online or call. One of the questions is if you wish to recieve weeks of unemployment press one. When you get to the end of the questions they will tell you how much you are elgible for. The unemployment office will also send you a letter in the mail with your first certification date, how much you will get and everything else you need to know. Good luck!!
    MsPhyllis1985

Answer by MsPhyllis1985 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2011