This may be a stupid question, but...

...does raw asparagus usually have a strong smell? I bought some to cook tonight, and as I was taking it out of the bag, I got a really strong whiff of that stinky asparagus smell (though I love the taste, lol). I sniffed up close and (ugh!), it smells very strong. I don't recall it ever having an odor like that before, but then again, I've never put my nose right up to it before either, lol. Do you think it's gone a bit bad or this typical of asparagus? Thanks! :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think it does have a strong smell.. But if its so strong or sweet smelling (like lettuce does) or horrible u cant stand to smell im going with its bad
    Anonymous

• LOL even though asparagus is good for you yes it has a fowl odor (farts) sorry IMO...lol
    But if you enjoy them while eating them hey at least your eating something healthy...just don't put them near your nose...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• If it's not slimy or mushy....it's fine. Broccoli does the same thing...tastes delicious, but raw smells like hiney!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have never noticed any weird smell to raw asparagus. As long as it's not soft and there are no signs of even the most minor of decay, it should be all right.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 8:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• yes it does have a smell and as long as it is not slimy or mushy when you pick it up then it should be OK; I would only keep it for 4 days max in the refrigerator though
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2011