If you have ever operated your own business

What was you operating costs? What was your start up cost? Advertising? How long were you in business before you started seeing a profit?

1northwestmom

Asked by 1northwestmom at 4:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• Starting a business takes a while and usually you don't really see a profit until a year or so once you get all your supplies. I built my photography business slowly. I didn't just start out with a facebook page and say "anyone want photos?" I took my time researching, studying and knowing the business before I did it. I also advertise the free way for now through craiglist and facebook but I am very specific on what I offer (not just baby photos and protraits). It goes through word of mouth. You need to find out how much you are going to spend on supplies and take your time building it. Don't go and get a loan and get a bunch of stuff. That is the number one mistake
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes I own my own Hair Salon
    Thia7

Answer by Thia7 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I have my own business. I joined a company to do direct sales. My start up costs were less than $200(and that was joining, buying products, business cards and catalogs) I started because I loved the products and so did my friends/family. I now work with local organizations doing fundraisers but I still have a lot retails sales as well.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We own an ag consulting business. Start up was fairly high, and since we keep growing costs are still pretty high year to year. At tax time, we just barely break even. We do very little advertising, since it's really a word-of-mouth thing. I honestly couldn't say what start-up costs were, especially considering what we add every year, but the business, last I checked, was worth a heckuva lot, and DH & FIL have business life insurance policies now.
    Anonymous

• I am in direct sales, I maybe paid $150 including the kit and I saw profit my very first month (which happened to be november which is crazy for sales on candles). Since then, I use up to 50% of the paycheck for restock or whatever but normally don't even use that much.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 2:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2011