How can I deal with anxiety while pregnant?

Before my pregnancy, I was prescribed Xanax to deal with my Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but now that I'm expecting, I'm (of course) not taking any medications that could affect my baby. What are some good ways to deal with the anxiety in a manner that is safe for my pregnancy? Keep in mind that I am also extremely ADD, so it's very hard for me to utilize meditation or visualization. Thanks!

KaraokeMommy225

Asked by KaraokeMommy225 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• is it possible to see a therapist? cognitive behavioral therapy without meds can be helpful to you during your pregnancy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I lost my mother to breast cancer a few months into my pregnancy. I too have suffered from anxiety attacks a lot in the past. I have found that focusing my energy on the baby, when they hit, really helps make them go away. To me, this child is the only thing worth living for at times, so she brings me into focus. After losing mom, I wanted to just disappear... Try breathing deep, slow breaths.....
    Stefanie1130

Answer by Stefanie1130 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• You could try yoga, go for walks, read---try to find something to take your mind off things.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 4:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I haven't considered a therapist, but am going to bring it up at my next doctors appointment (tomorrow).
    KaraokeMommy225

Comment by KaraokeMommy225 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Sorry to hear of your loss Stefanie :-(
    KaraokeMommy225

Comment by KaraokeMommy225 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Just remember to breath. I know it's easier said then done, but you can get through this without anything. Well you feel anxious, just sit down and concentrate on taking deep breaths. Or if you can sleep
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2011