Visiting and differences in parenting

How do you handle visiting someone else's home for an extended period (vacation) when they have radically different parenting strategies in terms of manners, rules, TV, schedules, etc?

...my kids aren't *quite* old enough to get it--they are only 2 and 4

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 4:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would be staying in a hotel.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well, I would expect them to parent their children, while I parent mine. I don't think that just because you're in someone's house that they have the right to discipline your children, unless of course they are babysitting. Otherwise...you're still the parent and you can still do your job. As far as the rules with TV and whatnot...I don't know....are they placing their rules for their children on you and your family as well? It is vacation, right? I don't think vacation should have more rules than home.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• no...their household is more lax than mine, and mine are confused about why theirs are allowed to do stuff that they can't...
    thalassa

Comment by thalassa (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Ahhhh........Well, I just flat out tell them that each house has their own set of rules and they will follow Mommy's rules, no matter whose house their in.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• *I would just flat out . . .
    BridgetC140

• i would be honest and explain everyone has different rules for different things......and depending on how much time your going to be there i dont think its going to effect your kids to have a little lax (while on vacation).....just reinforce the rules when you get home....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2011