Expenses

After having a baby, how much do you think you spend a year for the child?

pregers2011

Asked by pregers2011 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• way too much...lol i couldn't pin point it...but i know it's a lot
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• a lot
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It's hard to tell when you are living it so I googled it and this site might give you the answer you need.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/childcostcalc.html

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• We budget $20 per kid per month for clothes. They don't eat much food. Housing situation didn't change. We pour 120 a week per kid into childcare. I spend about $30 every two weeks for misc fun: bowling, chucky cheese, movies, drive-in, ice cream. I'm currently putting away a lot of money for college. Then you get into activities, I am currently keeping with just gymnastics, but that's about $60 a month. Then they turn 16, maybe have a job, might need a car, car insurance, proms, birthday gifts and parties every year.... Then they go to college $$$$, and get married $$$$....

What exactly did you want to know?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Well lets see....besides food and shelter:

2-4 pairs of shoes a year: 4/year x $20(average)= $80/per child
    Winter clothes, Summer clothes: I would say about $1000/ per child a year if that....
    Diapers: 2boxes/month @$35/each x12 months= $840/per child
    Wipes: 1 box/month @$11 x 12 months= $ 132/per child
    Misc: hair clips, shampoo, toothpaste...nick nacky things: $100/per child

Total: $2152.00/per child per year....x 4 children = GRAND TOTAL: $8,608.00

Doesn't include toys! UGH. lol
    Anonymous

• I really depends on your life style and kid(s). I have a DD with ADHD. Just her doctor appointments for the ADHD and her medication are over $1000 per year. And that doesn't include the cost of the medical insurance we have for her. DS2 was in the ER with a UTI. The bills for that are coming in and look to be over $600. DS1 bedwets. He wears diapers at night. I look for sales and pay around $100 for a whole year.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• For both my kids(4 year old & 4 month old) I know my yearly expenses are in the thousands. I'm not doing the math on that one or I will faint.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• With our last. Not much. He's 11 1/2 months now and almost off formula. That was $80/month. Diapers were about $50/month (buying in bulk). Wipes are $15/for 2 months (in bulk). We only buy clothes when he needed them and used any hand me downs we got.
    So, at least $140/month. As for other stuff like furniture and toys... we didn't buy that much. He used the pack n play we had with our other kids until we bought him a crib at like 6 or 7 months (that cost $200 with mattress). He has no dressers or anything like that (his clothes are kept in a plastic drawer thing the neighbors gave us). His toys are almost all hand me downs from the other kids. The only thing we bought was a bouncer which was $80. Carseat/stroller was $180 (he's still using the same carseat). High chair was $25 (from ikea). Not including medical bills from his birth we've spent about $2500 his first year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• more than i should and less than i want.....but everyone has a different life style
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2011

• That depends on the parent and the age of the child. Day care? Private school? Any extra curricular activities? Cost of living depends on your location also. Bare minimum for a school age child...$200 for second hand clothes for the year, $20 a week for breakfast and dinner (cereal and smaller portion of what parents are allready making for dinner), ad atleast $50 more in monthly utilities, $100+ a month for the extra bedroom(this is situationally different), ... It really is impossible to pin this number down! Does your health care cover it? What's the hike if not? Don't forget the teachers supplies list! And do you plan to celebrate holidays(those aren't cheap!)? I do however feel that the second kid is cheaper! 3rd and 4th even more so.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2011