• In the Spotlight:

What's the difference between false labor and real?

I am so worried I won't be able to tell...

Stefanie1130

Asked by Stefanie1130 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Real labor changes your cervix. False labor doesn't. But all contractions have a purpose.

And you'll be able to tell. The pain of real labor is unmistakeable.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Labor contractions you hurt lower in your pelvic area like an extremely bad period cramp that comes and goes. Where as false labor is still higher up.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• real labor gets worse and is very painful. You'll be able to tell :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I was having contractions (real labor) at 28 weeks and all I really felt was tired. Luckily, I had regular appointment that week and was hospitalized and they were able to stop them before my cervix thinned too much. False labor goes away when you empty your bladder, have a glass of water and rest for a while. I agree with Calvalybaby's1st comment but I feel that only a doctor can really tell for sure.  I definitely was mistaken on how real labor felt even though it was my 2nd pregnancy where I had pre-term real labor.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Real labor, the contractions take a minute each, they get stronger and closer together. False labor, the contractions go away when your activity level changes or you drink water, or they stay the same intensity and distance, or they aren't long enough. If it sounds like what you're going through (1 minute contractions 5 minutes apart for 1 hour after you change activity levels drastically and drink lots of water) call your OB and they will tell you if you can go in or not.

I once had a tricky false labor, a minute long every 5 minutes for hours. I went ot the OB and he hooked us up to the NST machine and told me it wasn't real. Real labor was 3 weeks away! But, I should add, no more painful- probably less. But it went super-fast and did get closer together and once I hit transition, 15 minutes before she was born, it started to really hurt.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011