What do you think of the Quiverfull Movement?

I was reading this interview with someone that left it (part of what sparked my question here), and wondered what peoples opinions on the matter were...

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It is purely about control. It is vile. I grew up in close contact with many, many, many of these people. My parents were fundie homeschoolers, we were on the fringe. The abuse, physical, emotional, psychological- it blows my mind. For kids who are raised and brainwashed into believing it is not only OK, but right, there really is no choice in the matter. They follow the parents footsteps, which is the point.
    Quiverfull is about domination- I could get into detail, but it is simply going to make me angry.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Honestly, I think that it's about control. The more children you indoctrinate to your beliefs, the more people there are in your flock, the more power you have. What better way to do that than to tell your followers they need to have as many babies as they can?

I have absolutely nothing against large families... even ridiculously large like the Duggers. I plan a large family myself, 4, maybe 5 kids (we have 2 right now). What I don't like is the radical indoctrination, the oppression of women, and the hypocrisy. "We leave our fertility up to God", but they are sure quick to accept intervention if it means saving themselves, their babies or their fertility.

You won't catch me in a Quiverfull nest.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• There are more issues here besides just having a ton if kids. There is a poltical movement going on and it is really disturbing. Read the whole thing...its scary.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• My big concern is the reports of lack of education for the girls- it limits them and makes it difficult for them to decide who/what they want to be when they grow up-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I hope the movement loses its steam, and quickly. It makes me very sad to see ideologies like this that subjugate women, and convince them that they are only doing what their God Almighty wants them to do--to do anything different would be to offend the one they're raised to believe is their very reason for being. What a frightening prospect to be used as a breeder to help populate the earth with more people whose only purpose is to worship their god. In fact, and I realize that this may be offensive to some, but I'm simply voicing my opinion here, it's creepy. The woman in the interview does sound bitter, but I think with, good reason. I'd be bitter, too, if I lived my life like that, trying to do the right thing, only to realize that I was missing out on life--and practically giving my very life for this pointless purpose.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Personally I think it's ridiculous and irresponsible but if someone wants to live that life it's on their shoulders, not mine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• going crazy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Also, (and I'll admit i didn't read the entire thing) as long as they are making their bills and can afford all those kids and all the kids basic needs are being met, I can't say I agree with it being "irresponsible". Heck, taking on such a big family is a huge responsibility!
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Yes it's very disturbing. One of the reasons it's disturbing is because it is following fundamental Christian principles, and to think how widespread Christianity is, well, that's a big worry right there. What I found most disturbing is the raising of kids in that environment, because they won't be given the freedom to question it, except maybe incidentally by exposure to the real world. As ObbyDobbie said, it's all about controlling others and repressing individuals. Deeply disturbing to my personal morals.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• Soyousay, I believe Judimary has a problem with it because if you already believe along these line (the man is the head of the woman, etc etc) it's easy to slip into this type of thinking. As the woman in the interview said, the Quiverfull movement is Christianity played out to it's full potential. And if there are millions of Christians already on the planet, who already have a head start in believing this junk, it's that much easier for it to become mainstream.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2011