How long can you grieve over a past relationship?

There is a cute guy I want to kiss (lol) but he is still like hurt over his last relationship. He says he moved across country after the breakup, he was with her for a good moment of time, posted on fb "after 8 months its still hurts but has gotten better", and still has pic of her on his phone he was showing a pic of something and she happened to be in it (funny pic). He is a really nice guy I just think he needs to get out and party not wallow bout some girl lol

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 5:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• It's different for everyone, but you wouldn't want to be the rebound girl would you?
    Anonymous

• true I dont want to be that girl lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It takes as long as it takes. There is no set time. You think he should be moving on by now, but you weren't in his relationship so you don't know what happened. There may be very valid reasons why he isn't ready to move on just yet. If you really want to be with him, and be more than just his first fling after the relationship, then just give him time to grieve and move on in his own time.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It always took me a long time to get over break ups. Usually until I met someone else who interested me enough to forget the last one. Does he know you like him? But then again, I've been the rebound girl to, and that sucks. They kinda use you to cry on, than once they "get over it," they get over you too. I'd at least take it with a grain of salt ;)
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• It depends on the person, and how involved the relationship was, I think. I never took a terribly long time to get over any relationship, but I wasn't all that involved, either. I took all my relationships pretty lightly until I met my now-DH.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• yeah I read a post he put on someones page that said "we werw practiacally married but guess it asn't meant to be." He talks about her in class..in relation to what we are talking about. I'm starting to think he is trying to come out the shell but IDK. I don't think he can tell I like him. I'm pretty cold in nature and former bff's take a minute to realize I can stand them lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2011

• I would have to say that until he stops talking about her and saving her pic on his cell and stops posting on FB about his feelings about her and their relationship, I would not get involved with him. You might think you could change all that and take his mind off of her, but down the road if he didn't get over her on his own without distraction (you) he may get back with her and you will be the one hurt.

Take it as a sign he isn't ready to move on. And he hasn't really gotten over her yet.
    SnapIt

Answer by SnapIt at 8:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2011